Sense of Urgency

newyorker55

How does a new agent create that sense of urgency with their clients? I have a new agent working under me that has had tons of clients say they want life insurance, they know they need life insurance but just cant get over that hump and sell the life insurance. Everyone says they know they need life insurance, just not right now. Which is great because he will have clients in the future, but not helping him now.

Any ideas???

Ask your insurance carrier for statistics of first year claims on life insurance.

The other part is in his fact-finding & presentation. He isn't presenting the benefits of owning life insurance while they are alive. Clients who are procrastinating... have a mentality that "nothing will happen to me, so I can wait and not 'waste' my money on insurance".

That's just one reason why I like the infinite banking & found money management-type concepts... because it shows someone how they can benefit from owning permanent life insurance TODAY... and the sooner they get started, the lower their premiums and better their health will be (generally speaking).

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. However, if you learn how to salt the horses oats effectively... you can get the horse to WANT to drink. Become a better "oat salter"... and show people how they can have what they want by buying life insurance.

How does a new agent create that sense of urgency with their clients? I have a new agent working under me that has had tons of clients say they want life insurance, they know they need life insurance but just cant get over that hump and sell the life insurance. Everyone says they know they need life insurance, just not right now. Which is great because he will have clients in the future, but not helping him now.

Any ideas???

He is not finding the want or the pain. That thing that makes them cringe with the thought of it. That problem that they will pay to have a solution to, today.

Needs and concepts are great and work with the logical side of us. However, Sometimes the act side of us needs pain to drive us forward.

Also depends on what he is presenting. A business owner market vs a family market.

The best advice I had was to keep the money out of it. Ask about emotions and logistics.

"What would it be like for your family if something happened to you on the way home today?"

Family includes parents of 20 somethings. Do you really want to cripple your parent's retirement?

Probe deeper with "who would take care of the kids" "is a college education for your children something that is important to you?" "Would your spouse have to sell the house? How long would that take? Would they have enough money to make it that long? Would you rather they could afford to keep the home you've been raising your children in?"

Also something that I don't lead with but pull out when I'm up against a wall:

"Has anyone you know passed away unexpectedly? What was it like for their family?" Most people over 25 have had this happen and it's been rough emotionally and financially.

Someone who's good at this did this with a whole crowd that I was in when I first started and he was SO moving with his questions that I was terrified the whole drive home because I didn't have coverage at the time. I was 27, unmarried, and no kids. I can't imagine how scared I would have been if we were talking 1 to 1.

Ok..serious question for you jokers.

Do you all really use these emotional closes. I mean what kind of people actually buy into this? I know that my target market certainly would(FE), but I avoid using emotion as much as possible.

I can't imagine someone like me not kicking you out of my house if you started in with this stuff...and yes...I am the target market for most traditional life agents...and most of my peers would do the same.

Just wondering what clientele falls for this type of sales pitch.

Thanks,

Donnie

Ok..serious question for you jokers.

Do you all really use these emotional closes. I mean what kind of people actually buy into this? I know that my target market certainly would(FE), but I avoid using emotion as much as possible.

I can't imagine someone like me not kicking you out of my house if you started in with this stuff...and yes...I am the target market for most traditional life agents...and most of my peers would do the same.

Just wondering what clientele falls for this type of sales pitch.

Thanks,

Donnie

I do not use any closes? And I have kicked an agent out of my house for using the "I can't love your family more than you" close on me.

On the other hand you are probably a more logical buyer than the majority of FE buyers. Just a guess.

Edit: I guess my close is "so what you think"

I do not use any closes? And I have kicked an agent out of my house for using the "I can't love your family more than you" close on me.

On the other hand you are probably a more logical buyer than the majority of FE buyers. Just a guess.

True, but that was my point...I won't use an emotional close on the people it is most likely to work on...seems illogical ;)

I've also kicked out several agents, way before I was an insurance agent, but for similar situations. The best was I had just bought my first 'big' house and a primerica agent came in with my cousin to sell me some term...he then proceeded to try and recruit me...my wife laughed and said, "really?" I then took him to the garage and said...if you can strike me a check for this car...meaning you have the cash on hand to do so....I'm in. He left without a new recruit and a policy. ;) ;)

Any ideas???

There is no sense of urgency. His clients will never die early, nor will they suffer a disability. That only happens to other people.

That being said, he has some options. By your screen name, I'll guess that you're on the island, Westchester, or in the boroughs. What's the average mortgage for these clients, 500k? His clients are crazy not to have some type of protection for that alone.

Educate him in all areas. Companion (MoO) has a CI plan and an accidental policy in NY. Securian (Minnesota) and ANICO have non-med term...none of these are perfect solutions but sometimes you just have to get the ball rolling with a new agent. They need to close some sales and get some confidence before they can write bigger tickets.

I'm very logical and straightforward in my meetings and I almost always work a two call close (which some agents will certainly disagree with however, the first appointment is likely phone based). After a fact find, I'll do a needs analysis which points to a certain amount of coverage in various areas. I approach most situations clinically and provide a couple of options. Then I make a recommendation of which option is best and why. The client can choose to listen to my advice or not...

My experience is that you can't teach drive. If he has it, he'll be able to do a lot of business if you give him the tools. Otherwise, he'll be another agent with a lot of knowledge and a small bank account.

I don't like to make emotional presentations either. I keep them factual. But I did pull a ballsy move one time on a funeral PreNeed appointment that worked.

Like many appointments I could tell the wife was ready to sign up. Husband was not. They had today's newspaper laying nearby so I picked it up and said let me show you something. I showed them the obituary page. I pointed out that some of the obits were younger than they are. Then I said, I guarantee you that if I met with everybody on this page two days ago, half of them would have told me they want to think about it. And look where that would have gotten them.

Here are your two choices. 1. I can have you covered WHILE you think about it. Or 2. Is just NO. No thinking about it, just no. It would be crazy to not be covered while you are thinking about it.

It worked. They bought.

I don't like to make emotional presentations either. I keep them factual. But I did pull a ballsy move one time on a funeral PreNeed appointment that worked.

Like many appointments I could tell the wife was ready to sign up. Husband was not. They had today's newspaper laying nearby so I picked it up and said let me show you something. I showed them the obituary page. I pointed out that some of the obits were younger than they are. Then I said, I guarantee you that if I met with everybody on this page two days ago, half of them would have told me they want to think about it. And look where that would have gotten them.

Here are your two choices. 1. I can have you covered WHILE you think about it. Or 2. Is just NO. No thinking about it, just no. It would be crazy to not be covered while you are thinking about it.

It worked. They bought.

This is gold. I'm definitely using it.

Back