Severe Sleep Apnea

unic.consulting

Guru
100+ Post Club
Who are the best WL/UL carriers for someone with severe sleep apnea (AHI around 50). They were diagnosed 7 years ago and have used Bi-PAP consistently since then.

Who are the best WL/UL carriers for someone with severe sleep apnea (AHI around 50). They were diagnosed 7 years ago and have used Bi-PAP consistently since then.

If they use the Bi-Pap consistently (meaning nightly and throughout the night) and symptoms are resolved (or at least are down to just snoring) it might not hit quite as hard with your usual carriers.

I'm assuming he's also not a triathlete with phenomenal BP and cholesterol?

If compliant with treatment and CPAP is working to resolve issues, you should be pretty solid standard with most carriers. I've placed numerous sleep apnea people with Guardian, Penn, North American/Midland, and Lincoln most of them preferred--though I can't say from memory if any had AHI's higher than 20.

Additional factors will come into play. As UW Guy pointed out, how is this person's overall physical health?

Just to update this. The client got standard with Genworth.

That sounds about right, unless the records showed it was largely central sleep apnea (basically the brain wasn't telling the body to breathe) unless your AHI is in the 70's or higher standard should be achievable. People around me have had to refer AHI's in the 90's and one at 103. It basically meant the guy was having an apnea about every other breath. The only other issue then is whether they're using their CPAP or other prescribed treatment consistently and nightly.

Genworth can be pretty stingy; standard from them on this case might be good. Assuming you have records and complete client disclosures, I would have your MGA approach carriers who like this kind of risk profile. You may be able to get a more favorable underwriting class, or a carrier whose standard rate is lower than Genworth’s.

Back