Should You Sell Indexed UL?

The answer is an unequivocal maybe? The answer really depends upon your client and their needs. IUL can be a great product for clients seeking long-term coverage with a possible exit strategy option via cash value surrender or future income streams.

There are also IUL products in the marketplace that offer death benefit guarantees that provide peace of mind in the event the product does not perform to projections. IUL is also a viable option for your Premium Finance cases. It can reduce the collateral requirement and provide a way to retire the loan prior to death.

As long as the product is not oversold with aggressive projections, it can be managed quite effectively to satisfy a myriad of needs. Two primary errors I often see is first on the accumulation side where unreasonable interest rates are used to determine future cash and/or income streams.

Secondly, on the loan side. Many IUL products offer two loan types: 1. A traditional loan or 2. What is often referred to as a participating or variable loan. These latter type loans anticipate that the policy will earn a spread between the loan value interest rate and the crediting rate being accumulated on the cash value. While this is possible it is aggressive and potentially dangerous. I always like to error on the side of caution and illustrate traditional loans. Traditional loans come in two primary forms. Wash loans where the net cost is zero or spread loans where the loan rate is slightly higher than what is credited back to the policy. These will illustrate less income distribution than a variable/participating loan, but is more conservative.

These products are more complex than traditional UL's and you must manage client expectations more effectively, but IUL products can be a great tool in your arsenal.

Not a very original post...I could have sworn I've seen this post word for word in some agent magazines.

You are both correct. I am stealing from myself. I sent this out on the forum a few months ago.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thanks for reading it twice.

Last edited:
You are both correct. I am stealing from myself. I sent this out on the forum a few months ago.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thanks for reading it twice.
If reading the first two sentences counts as reading it twice, then you're welcome. It must not have tripped my trigger the first time if I didn't remember it less than 3 months later.

And you copied and pasted your own 3-month old post because... ?

lachjs789 said:
Relevant topic and many brokers are grossly uninformed even about the basics of this product.

And your post informs them? Or is this some sort of seo scheme for yourself?

If it's an SEO scheme, he's doing it terribly wrong. I'm no wizard, but I know enough to know that's not how you do it.

If he wants to post and re-post let him. I don't know how much luck he's going to have in finding agents that want to submit business to him. But good luck to him nonetheless. Might want to come up with something a little more direct.

Last edited:
I actually enjoyed the post. Question, if the aim is to increase cash value or take income later on, what is a better fit, IUL, or PWL (w/ pua)?
Too me it seems like the IUL is a product that requires more education, more understanding, and perhaps more maintenance, what do you guys think?
Long term viability, what do you think will happen to IUL's when the FED increases interest rates? (not that I think they will be our currency collapses, but not everyone is as conservative as I am in this regard).

Lately I have had two great sources on IUL's, Steve Savant's Broker's Alliance videos and myinsuranceproblog.com, awesome stuff, I digested the latter's entire site in a day very readable.

I actually enjoyed the post. Question, if the aim is to increase cash value or take income later on, what is a better fit, IUL, or PWL (w/ pua)?
Too me it seems like the IUL is a product that requires more education, more understanding, and perhaps more maintenance, what do you guys think?
Long term viability, what do you think will happen to IUL's when the FED increases interest rates? (not that I think they will be our currency collapses, but not everyone is as conservative as I am in this regard).

Lately I have had two great sources on IUL's, Steve Savant's Broker's Alliance videos and myinsuranceproblog.com, awesome stuff, I digested the latter's entire site in a day very readable.
LOL. You should have liked it. You liked the exact same verbatim post in March. Unneccesary.

Back