Single Parents - Neglecting Life Insurance

Most single parents especially women are struggle to keep food on the table.

I stumbled onto this thread after one about life insurance agents and pot.

That's an interesting statement.

My first response is that's a stereotype.

My second is remembering (as a married parent) having to measure the cost of things in "gallons of milk" to stamp on desires to buy things.

I wonder how the "single parent" category of people separates into economic layers now (6 yrs later) and how one would identify and sell to them?

I stumbled onto this thread after one about life insurance agents and pot.

That's an interesting statement.

My first response is that's a stereotype.

My second is remembering (as a married parent) having to measure the cost of things in "gallons of milk" to stamp on desires to buy things.

I wonder how the "single parent" category of people separates into economic layers now (6 yrs later) and how one would identify and sell to them?

That is not a sterotype but is based on the majority of single parents (mostly women that I know). Even on a good salary (50K plus) it is hard to make it on one wage earners earnings unless they have substantial child support or family assistance.

That is not a sterotype but is based on the majority of single parents (mostly women that I know). Even on a good salary (50K plus) it is hard to make it on one wage earners earnings unless they have substantial child support or family assistance.

Not that hard if they live like single income households (which were in the majority) lived years ago.

Not that hard if they live like single income households (which were in the majority) lived years ago.

My wife and I raised three kids in one income. However, no student loans to deal with and no health insurance for many years. My granddaughter has to pay or raise $1500 to be in show choir.

I've spent almost $500 this year just on normal school field trips for my middle schooler. And they were all local trips, nothing big like the single $350 trip last year.
There was about $80 in required school supplies just to start. Last year there was a $120 calculator required on top of the normal supplies. Then most extra curricular after school activities will cost $300-$1500 in supplies/fees/expenses.
Let's not forget that internet at home is essentially an unsaid expectation in many schools... so add on another $600 per year for that. School is vastly more expensive for parents these days vs 15/20/30/40 years ago

Single income two-parent households from the B&W TV generation didn't have to pay a third party for child care.

Yep, single parents will need some level of child care, after school or otherwise. And it isn't cheap.

I've spent almost $500 this year just on normal school field trips for my middle schooler. And they were all local trips, nothing big like the single $300 trip last year.
There was about $80 in required school supplies just to start. Last year there was a $120 calculator required on top of the normal supplies. Then most extra curricular after school activities will cost $300-$1500 in supplies/fees/expenses.
Let's not forget that internet at home is essentially an unsaid expectation in many schools... so add on another $600 per year for that. School is vastly more expensive for parents these days vs 15/20/30/40 years ago

It definitely adds up. Between new technology and cost cutting by the school systems. As a child, I don't remember ever taking classroom supplies to school. Now, parents are routinely expected to pay for materials used in class above and beyond pencils and notebook paper. Later this month my son's school is giving jeans day (they have uniforms) to any child who brings in a ream of paper that day. Basically bribing parents to supply copy paper for the school's use.

I do recall calculators and such in high school, however since it was my personal property it felt reasonable. Also, a $120 calculator, which they were then, cost a heck of a lot more when I was in high school than today.

Yep, single parents will need some level of child care, after school or otherwise. And it isn't cheap.

It definitely adds up. Between new technology and cost cutting by the school systems. As a child, I don't remember ever taking classroom supplies to school. Now, parents are routinely expected to pay for materials used in class above and beyond pencils and notebook paper. Later this month my son's school is giving jeans day (they have uniforms) to any child who brings in a ream of paper that day. Basically bribing parents to supply copy paper for the school's use.

I do recall calculators and such in high school, however since it was my personal property it felt reasonable. Also, a $120 calculator, which they were then, cost a heck of a lot more when I was in high school than today.

No calculators when I was in school but my physics teacher made us all buy slide rules.

----------

No calculators when I was in school but my physics teacher made us all buy slide rules. Tells you I am getting to be an old fart! ;)

I've spent almost $500 this year just on normal school field trips for my middle schooler. And they were all local trips, nothing big like the single $350 trip last year.

When I was a kid, your school supplies were a couple of pencils, a package of paper, a ruler and a box of crayons.:err:

Calculators are still pricey when they're doing high school AP calc and you need the ti graphing calculator

Back