Single Parents - Neglecting Life Insurance

That cracks me up my kids teachers don't assign homework because they would have to grade seems teachers are getting lazy.

Thats funny..... my grandkids teachers have parent volunteers to grade homework. By assigning homework, they don't have to teach in class and they can blame the parents for kids not learning.

That said, there are some great teachers out there as well. They still have parent volunteers to grade homework though :biggrin:

Today in the business section of our paper there is an article headlined that says that Indiana's cost of living has increased 60% in the last decade but wages have only risen 9%. Creates additional pressure on single wage earner families.

Last edited:
Some parents aren't choosing between paying insurance premiums and paying for a better iPhone.

Some have to choose between insurance premiums and a safer neighborhood for their kids.

Some parents aren't choosing between paying insurance premiums and paying for a better iPhone.

Some have to choose between insurance premiums and a safer neighborhood for their kids.

And what neighborhood will the kids live in if they die and leave the kids almost destitute? I don't think $12 per month is going to make much difference in the neighborhood.

Alston...I get that. I truly do. But Rouse is right, this is a $12 issue. I understand the single parent cycle of poverty, so kids are left home alone, which increases the crime rate and the teenage birth rate, which starts the cycle again.

Personal responsibility is key. THIS is where our schools are lacking. Stop holding hands, teach them about finance starting very young and the options out there to get them a better job, which leads to a safer neighborhood.

I have sympathy for those with illness or a low IQ that can't get out of poverty. I have none for those who are reasonably intelligent and able bodied...but refuse to do anything to make their lives better for themselves AND their children.

"Personal responsibility is key. THIS is where our schools are lacking. Stop holding hands, teach them about finance starting very young and the options out there to get them a better job, which leads to a safer neighborhood. "

One thing, teachers and schools DON'T set up what is studied, government does. Locally, state and federal levels. Teachers just have to make a go of it, to make it work as they don't get to buy the groceries for the meal, they just have to make a meal out of it.

It also depends on what state you live in. I used to think every state funded education like mine did. Not so. some states "talk" about education, but then when you review their actions, you really see the opposite.

I've run into the issue as well. Many people have their priorities way out of wack. Spending $300-400/mo on technology stuff, and have no life insurance. Its certainly harder for single parents, but I've seen plenty of dual income families that can afford it, yet don't have any, or if they do its not enough.

The new fad solution is when they pass for someone to spout that it was unfortunate that they had no life insurance to take care of their family, and then set up go fund me and beg for support. I have mixed emotions about this. Its different for folks that CAN'T get insurance.

One thing, teachers and schools DON'T set up what is studied, government does. Locally, state and federal levels. Teachers just have to make a go of it, to make it work as they don't get to buy the groceries for the meal, they just have to make a meal out of it.

Exactly. If your unhappy about the education your child gets, complain to your state legislators and actually vote in your local elections.

If you want better teachers, tell those state legislators to raise the pay for teachers.

If you didnt vote in your state legislative election, if you dont support the school PTA, and if your against any type of a tax increase ever..... then you have no right to complain about your local schools.

----------

I've run into the issue as well. Many people have their priorities way out of wack. Spending $300-400/mo on technology stuff, and have no life insurance. Its certainly harder for single parents, but I've seen plenty of dual income families that can afford it, yet don't have any, or if they do its not enough.

There are extremely few dual income families that honestly cant afford life insurance.

There are very few single parents that cant afford at least a small $20/m term policy. Most spend that much at Starbucks each week. They do exist, but they are not the majority.

----------

The non-PC answer is this: we all make choices. I didn't choose to be a single parent, but sometimes life sucks. You can either spend $20/month on life insurance or get the new iphone. Take your pick.

Ditto. It was 6 years ago now that I took full custody of my kid. And I learned very quickly how to cook a lot of food for really cheap. You can make a huge pot of red beans & rice with sausage for less than $10. It will feed 2 people for 3-4 days.

Responsibility is a choice, especially when you are a single parent. I dont care how poor you are, you can still make responsible choices.

----------

Bringing this all back into the life insurance biz.... single parents are just like any other prospect imo.

They all know they need life insurance unless they are mentally incompetent.

They are either willing to be responsible or they are not willing to be.

As an agent, dont waste your time on the ones who are not. Move on and help the ones who want it.

Last edited:
Exactly. If your unhappy about the education your child gets, complain to your state legislators and actually vote in your local elections.

If you want better teachers, tell those state legislators to raise the pay for teachers.

If you didnt vote in your state legislative election, if you dont support the school PTA, and if your against any type of a tax increase ever..... then you have no right to complain about your local schools.

----------

There are extremely few dual income families that honestly cant afford life insurance.

There are very few single parents that cant afford at least a small $20/m term policy. Most spend that much at Starbucks each week. They do exist, but they are not the majority.

----------

Ditto. It was 6 years ago now that I took full custody of my kid. And I learned very quickly how to cook a lot of food for really cheap. You can make a huge pot of red beans & rice with sausage for less than $10. It will feed 2 people for 3-4 days.

Responsibility is a choice, especially when you are a single parent. I dont care how poor you are, you can still make responsible choices.

----------

Bringing this all back into the life insurance biz.... single parents are just like any other prospect imo.

They all know they need life insurance unless they are mentally incompetent.

They are either willing to be responsible or they are not willing to be.

As an agent, dont waste your time on the ones who are not. Move on and help the ones who want it.

The primary problem is most single parents tend to be younger and younger people, single or not, tend to think they are bullet proof. I seldom have had problems when dealing with a single mom or dad in their 40s.

The primary problem is most single parents tend to be younger and younger people, single or not, tend to think they are bullet proof. I seldom have had problems when dealing with a single mom or dad in their 40s.

To an extent, yes. But again, its a responsibility issue. Ive sold lots of life insurance to single moms in their 20s. They knew they needed it for their kids, and they made a conscious decision to make it part of their budget. But of course that budget usually is pretty limited if in their 20s.

But they were responsible people who kept a half decent job (since most of it in that age range was in a workplace environment).

In my prospecting experiences, most single parents in their 40s already have life insurance to some extent. But yes, the ones who do not are probably more likely to acquire it.

Last edited:
Back