So Many People Without Life Insurance

So the other day, one of my facebook friends posted that she needed some money for a project and is raising funds through a website called GoFundMe: #1 for Crowdfunding & Fundraising Websites

Basically its a place where people who really need money ask others for donations. All donations get to be kept whether or not they reach their goal.

I have heard of it before but never really explored the site. So today, I checked it out wanted to see what she was doing... Then at the top of the website I noticed a tab called 'Near Me'. So I thought I'd click it and see who around me was in need of money/donations, though I have no intention of donating. I'm just curious why people are raising funds.

What was really noticeable as soon as I started exploring and reading the requests are that a lot of people right now are asking for donations usually around $5,000 to $10,000 to pay for a funeral of a family member! I mean there are alot people right here in my local community in serious needs of funds to pay for funerals.

Right away I concluded these folks had No Life insurance! (obviously)

Met a guy down the block from me last week, has 5 young kids. I asked him if he has life insurance and said,... "just a small policy from my job". I told him to call me and I'll set him up with something to protect the kids. He never called and is avoiding me now!

I have 2 kids and I don't mind paying the premiums on my 2 life policies... Why are folks neglecting life insurance???

Last edited:
It is this

Life-Insurance-Policies.jpg

Or

images

Where's the dignity? I guess people like holding signs!

I have seen this, too. By the time people pay for health insurance there's no money left ..... for even groceries. In all of the health insurance I've written not one person has added life insurance, and I always ask. They are even cancelling their supplements to pay for the health insurance. It is taking everything they have. So much for affordable.

Met a guy down the block from me last week, has 5 young kids. I asked him if he has life insurance and said,... "just a small policy from my job". I told him to call me and I'll set him up with something to protect the kids. He never called and is avoiding me now!

I have 2 kids and I don't mind paying the premiums on my 2 life policies... Why are folks neglecting life insurance???

http://www.limra.com/uploadedFiles/limracom/Posts/PR/LIAM/PDF/Facts-Life-2013.pdf

Other Financial Priorities Compete with Life Insurance
- “Everyday expenses” such as energy costs, food, clothing and transportation were cited by more than half of consumers surveyed as limits on ability to save for financial goals.

- When surveyed on financial issues, “money for a comfortable retirement” was the top pick of 67 percent of consumers. By contrast, concerns that life insurance coverage traditionally addresses (such as premature death, funeral expenses and leaving an inheritance) registered as a top priority for less than 40 percent of consumers surveyed.

- Consumers who believe they need life insurance, 86 percent haven’t bought it because they think it is too expensive.

- Middle-income consumers are more concerned with reducing debt and having more money for retirement than other income groups.

Learn how to market yourself to help them solve THEIR problems that are important to them... not just sell a policy.

----------

It's kinda like getting kids to take their medicine. If you mash it all up in food they like, it's more likely they'll take them... rather than if you hold it right in front of them where they can see and smell it.

"A spoon full of sugar..." and all that.

I have seen this, too. By the time people pay for health insurance there's no money left ..... for even groceries. In all of the health insurance I've written not one person has added life insurance, and I always ask. They are even cancelling their supplements to pay for the health insurance. It is taking everything they have. So much for affordable.

I worry about later down the road an influx of possible cancellations. But I sell a lot of ancillary/supplemental coverage. I ask them how can they afford not to have the xtra supplements...and I doubt that'll happen in most cases, outside of about 20%, which is somewhat par for the course anyway.

When they have no extra money to help pay the health insurance premiums, in a time of extreme need, what good is that health coverage going to do them. Never mind groceries and extras. They won't be able to pay that deductible or their premiums if they can't afford a simple CI plan or something else to help with OOP expenses.

Or if the spouse dies, how are they going to pay that HI premium when they're too busy trying to pay for a funeral...idk.

Seems more like how can people not afford to have at least a small CI/LI/DI policy...all my clients have the highest deductibles and all of them have at least a small CI (except the lingering older clients from back when HI actually paid us). Or they find another agent who will give them the bare minimum. Not meaning to sound harsh. But I won't even do health insurance without putting other protection in place. It doesn't help either of us much..agent or client. I despise health insurance anymore (did it for a Long time in my past life) can you tell??? Lol.

Sorry. If I'm asked or if I feel bad, I will give them a quick, 5 minutes or less, lesson on healthcare.gov and leave. I realize i just went on a tangent. Truly I try to stay away from HI altogether, but the 20 or so I felt like doing this year every one of them got LI/CI minimum ...tangent over. Really don't get the logic sometimes.

Back