Successful Referral Strategy

jn8691mr

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
What has been the most successful strategy you've used to gain referrals? Do you ask for referrals at the point-of-sale? When you deliver the policy? Both?

You ask for referrals - or better yet - you have a discussion regarding client introductions at the time their perception of your value is at its highest. That's not usually at point of sale, but I guess it could be depending on your sales process.

But since you mentioned delivery, I assume you actually deliver your policies. That's a great time to remind them why they are buying. It's also the best time (in my opinion) to discuss referrals / introductions.

Two points:

1. Have an actual process / presentation for having the referral discussion. Wayne Cotton calls it the "Business Development Presentation".

2. Don't let the delivery appointment be the first time they hear you mention referrals. In other words, don't blindside them.

I tell every prospect in the first 30 minutes of our first visit that if we decide to work together, at the end of the process (whether 2, 5, or 10 meetings) I want to brainstorm potential introductions with them - but only if they're completely satisfied with the results of our work together.

What has been the most successful strategy you've used to gain referrals? Do you ask for referrals at the point-of-sale? When you deliver the policy? Both?

I think referrals are earned. I earn mine with client services. It's a rare client of mine that calls the company for anything. Most all call me.

I handle the death claims, change of address when they move, beneficiary changes. My clients know that they can always reach me and that I will return messages if I'm not able to pick up the phone right then.

I do deliver policies and I also send thank you cards. I've never once asked directly for a referral. Yesterday I wrote 3 application at a home that was from a referral. Without my asking she told me to be sure and call in advance when I brought the policies because she wants to have her brother and sister there and they need insurance too.

Just got a call about 30 minutes ago that one of my clients had died and they need me to contact the insurance company for them.

These were written 4 years ago. When I got the file out I noticed I had 5 family members insured in addition to the guy that just passed. All were referrals.

My approach from the first time I meet with people is to separate myself from other agents. I get that all the time from clients and prospects, "you are different than any other agent we've ever met".

I've got a guy that does backhoe and dozer work for me sometimes. Country as they come. He and his family have about 10 policies with me and he's always referring me to others. He'll say, "call ole John, he ain't like any insurance agent I've ever met. he don't try to sell you nuthin".

And this is a guy that's paying for 5 of those policies himself.

Just curious john how you work referrals and deliver policies. Let's say you get a referral in county one put your new leads are from county 6 and 3 weeks ago you worked county 4 and are getting policies back.How do work the county one referral if you're working county 4?Do you try to make appts around the referral?

Just curious john how you work referrals and deliver policies. Let's say you get a referral in county one put your new leads are from county 6 and 3 weeks ago you worked county 4 and are getting policies back.How do work the county one referral if you're working county 4?Do you try to make appts around the referral?

Referral are better than lead cards in my opinion so I preference them. But I'm usually in the field 2 days a week for my leads so I will deliver policies and see referrals that are out of the lead area on my non field days after I have set my appointments.

It's not difficult to mange though. While I work 14 counties, none are more than an hour drive from home.

I do have a folder for every county so if I'm there for a referral I will call the ones in the file since I'm going to be there.

I will sit on leads sometimes. I won't sit on a referral. I'm contacting them right away.

How do you jablde the hippa compliance/restrictions on acting on your clients behalf?

For example if you change an address, its rare the company will take your word for the new address, they typically make the client call in.

----------

*handle the hippa, whatever I typed earlier wasn't even close!

How do you jablde the hippa compliance/restrictions on acting on your clients behalf?

For example if you change an address, its rare the company will take your word for the new address, they typically make the client call in.

----------

*handle the hippa, whatever I typed earlier wasn't even close!

I am not a FE agent but like John I am not one to tell the client to call the company. I get the required form and get it to the client with return envelope to me to be sent to the carrier.

It is not a HIPPA violation if you have permission to make changes.
But that permission must be given on paper and filed with the carrier. That usually pertains to group benefits more than individual contracts.

But most carriers require a form to be filled out and signed by the client for changes to individual contracts. What most agents do, including me.. and Im guessing JD too, is get the form to the client to sign and send in (or send it in on behalf of the client once signed).

Back