Symmetry Financial Group

Just wanted to jump in... 15 year Underwriter here and former SAFECO/SYMETRA employee. They're a good group of people, I'd go back to work for them again in a heartbeat. The Chief Underwriter will do everything he can to get your business on the books if it makes sound sense. You can call any and all of the underwriters to discuss your cases, they have an open phone policy. I'd even have local Agents stop in and drop requirements off at my desk sometimes, you have that much access.

Not sure who you are talking to but do your homework. I was talking to Lynn, who I think is the brother of one of the bigshots, and everything sounded good but I was looking to do FE and he told me I had to start out doing MP first.

I started looking around for FE companies and when I mentioned I was looking he go real chitty with me and started talking down to me. He said good luck with those leads and making any money at that.(So far I have done ok so I would like to thank him for wishing me luck)

First rule of thumb in sales is never talk bad about someone elses product or business model but tell how yours is better. Red flag went up for me and I never looked back.

My intent for sharing real insight in Symmetry (SFG Life) is solely with the heart that if it had ever been revealed to me, it would have saved me the dashed hopes, wasted time, money and preparation for what presented itself as an exciting new opportunity and potential career. My insight is in stark contrast to the boatloads of glowing reviews on the internet.

I saw an online ad that would normally make me puke. You know the kind, “MAKE $10,000+ PER MONTH WORKING ONLY A FEW DAYS PER WEEK!” This ad, however, had a hook that appeared different than typical bottom feeders luring for the gullible. This ad provided a link to a company website.

The company appeared to be a solid insurance brokerage firm that was utilizing a multi-level marketing platform. Yes I had to plug my nose at the smell of MLM, but frankly as applied to the insurance industry the opportunity appeared unique and compelling. The entry was no-cost, they offered fresh leads with a close ratio of 50-70%, and paid quick and generous commissions providing viable life insurance products from
A-rated insurers - just add hard work!

The general overview of Symmetry is that it offers products from several dozen insurance carriers through agents who help families find what suits them best. What’s not to love?

Typically, brokers who offer products from various insurance carriers have software that cross compares all the rates for a potential client. Symmetry does not. They use an inefficient process of running a client’s information through the proprietary software of each individual insurer. It’s a laborious way to compare rates for the best price. I was alarmed to find such an outmoded system and additionally disturbed that it seemed to be a non issue to everyone else. Until I learned why: they’re not looking for the best price. Agents freely share that approximately 90% of their policies are issued through one insurance carrier.

Symmetry offers “mortgage protection life insurance,” which is no different than simple term life insurance, (both pay out benefits without any tie whatsoever to a mortgage). The “mortgage protection” element is purely an effective marketing angle that helps potential clients realize their home (and greatest asset) would be in jeopardy should they die, and life insurance can protect it. “Mortgage protection” is simply a ploy that helps increase life insurance sales. However, beneath the surface lurks a problem unbeknownst to clients, mortgage protection life insurance comes at a cost given it’s more expensive than term life insurance... for the same product.

Symmetry agents are clearly taught that they get “one chance” at a potential client, knowing that if they don’t close the deal in one shot, it’s over. Why? Because, unless forced by competition, Symmetry is not trying to sell at the lowest price.

When I inquired why Symmetry does not push products with the best rate, the reply was that “you can sell those policies, but they don’t pay near as much commission.” The bottom line is that the mortgage protection angle is effective at closing deals with a higher premium, complete with a higher commission to the agent. In the insurance industry this presents a significant challenge given agents have a fiduciary responsibility to reveal ALL information to their clients so they are able to make an informed decision.

Symmetry agents have access to provide policies with equal death benefits and lower premiums, but whether naïve or cunning, fail to represent this to their clients. They claim to offer the products of several dozen insurance carriers, but generally push only one - which ironically happens to be the carrier that pays the highest commission in a lump up-front sum.

Symmetry agents claim to be brokers researching the best product for their clients, but then take a one-size-fits-all approach to place their interest above the clients. A potential client is left reliant upon trusting the Symmetry agents professional advise when the reality is that one thing is being told to them, and another thing is being done.

One might argue that a potential client, like buying anything, should compare a policy offered by a Symmetry agent. Although true, the breach occurs when a Symmetry agent is claiming to provide this “comparative service” for the client, when they are not.

Symmetry neither employs agents nor compensates them. Agents are paid directly by insurance carriers. Symmetry positions themselves to the agents as a sales and marketing consultant as well as a corporate-brand identity. Possibly this disconnected structure buffers their liability of deploying hundreds of naïve or cunning agents into people’s homes, equipped with scripts that reinforce the dysfunction, without anyone monitoring the ethical wheel.

Multi-level Marketing companies are typically full of good, decent, often faith-based, hard working people simply trying to earn a living. Symmetry seems to be no different. Agents are simply following a system that holds the promise of making lots of money and building a successful business. They blatantly flaunt the moneymakers and encourage that everyone can achieve the same by merely following the system. My sense is that most if not all their agents are oblivious to the unethical dysfunction of Symmetry’s business practices.

Just because they’re getting away with it, doesn’t mean it’s ethical.

I am brand new with SFG. I will be completely honest with you. It cost me about 1000-1200 to get started. That included my LLC, E&O, License and Course work. I am going to assume no matter who you go with the cost is comperable.

Now if your like me and doing this as a second job, your going to need guideance and someone to help you through it. I am not happy with the comm I get as a newbie especially on leads I generate myself but thats the breaks. The main value I get is the leads. With I am hitting at a horrible rate (less than 40%). now because they are new in my area they only have 5 month and older leads but there telemarketing leads arent much better.

I hope this help

These guys contacted me for an interview and I had a question for you who have already met with them or current agents.

What commission levels are they offering new agents? Something tells me its 50%
Who is the main carrier that they use for MP?

A manager spoke with me and stated he is pulling down 10K AP per week. I'm guessing its not personal production alone, but he acted like it was. Red flag

Thanks

Last edited:
I am an agent for them. Great company! Let me know if you need more info...

----------

I am an agent for them - very happy. What area of the country are you in?

----------

This is simply not true. You may have some agents that operate in such fashion but Symmetry teaches agents to help families - there is no "one chance" mantra. You may have been with a bad group. All industries have some bad apples.

Back