Which Term carriers allow overweight?

Newby

Guru
5000 Post Club
I have a 25 year old female in good health except she is 5'3" and slightly over 250lbs. Which term carriers will allow overweight? She wants to get 30-year level on herself and husband. No other health problems at all.

At 5' 3" & 250 she has health issues . . . they may not have manifested yet, but they are there.

Pru is a possibility. There are also the non-med carriers to consider.

Why not just go non-med?

Who is best with the non-meds. I have used Shenandoah and Americo. Are they as good of choice as any? I think both of these will require a recent refinance of a mortgage within the last 2-years. This couple may not have done that. (need to add that question to my fact-finding for sure)

Why not just go non-med?

Non-med means simplified app with no paramed. Not that there are no questions. Her weight is still a stretch for a non-med carrier. It is true that non-med plans tend to be more accepting of weight issues but that is not as good as it appears. The reason is because everyone is automatically rated at about a Table D regardless of how healthy they are and a Table D lets some overweight people in. That is why the mon-med policies have far higher rates.

Winter

Who is best with the non-meds. I have used Shenandoah and Americo. Are they as good of choice as any? I think both of these will require a recent refinance of a mortgage within the last 2-years. This couple may not have done that. (need to add that question to my fact-finding for sure)

They are not a good choice if their underwriting guidelines don't work with her BMI. Find out what those guidelines are.

You have to either look at the underwriting guidelines for each of your life carriers or call them. Ideally, the agent is working with a GA who has their own underwriters who can just give quick opinion on what is possible.

Personally, I would not frig with the non-med route unless you look at their tables and she fits which I doubt. I would call your GA or someone like Mutual of Omaha which has shown some flex on wieght issues and see how they would rate her. If you could get Table 2 or 4 or something like that it might not be too bad because she is young and female so much higher rates are still not all that high. The advantage of a paramed exam is that companies such as Mutual of Omaha will bend the limits a little if the bloodwork is all good. Not many carriers will do that on term, moreso for permanent policies.

This woman is not healthy though. She is a time bomb so rather than discourage her, I would work with the age and gender factors that are on her side to let her know that she would do well to get in while the getting in is possible, although at a higher rating, maybe. Standard rates at her age are very low so twice that is still often affordable. Don't try this trick a few years down the road though.

Winter

Was just re-reading my post. When I said "higher rate, maybe" I didnt mean to imply that she might not have a higher rate. She will. I mean to imply she might be insurable at a higher rate or might not. She is obese.

Winter

They are not a good choice if their underwriting guidelines don't work with her BMI. Find out what those guidelines are.

You have to either look at the underwriting guidelines for each of your life carriers or call them. Ideally, the agent is working with a GA who has their own underwriters who can just give quick opinion on what is possible.

Personally, I would not frig with the non-med route unless you look at their tables and she fits which I doubt. I would call your GA or someone like Mutual of Omaha which has shown some flex on wieght issues and see how they would rate her. If you could get Table 2 or 4 or something like that it might not be too bad because she is young and female so much higher rates are still not all that high. The advantage of a paramed exam is that companies such as Mutual of Omaha will bend the limits a little if the bloodwork is all good. Not many carriers will do that on term, moreso for permanent policies.

This woman is not healthy though. She is a time bomb so rather than discourage her, I would work with the age and gender factors that are on her side to let her know that she would do well to get in while the getting in is possible, although at a higher rating, maybe. Standard rates at her age are very low so twice that is still often affordable. Don't try this trick a few years down the road though.

Winter

If you work with a GA, call them and let them shop the case, that is what I do and I work with many overweight cases. They need to get it while they can, regardless of the table rating, wouldn't go the non med route, never found they were less than fully underwritten.

Back