Touching Base with Previous Clients, Prospects

traceyemoon

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I had a hard time deciding which forum to put this in...I have Seniors, ACA, Life and Disability all in one scary file cabinet.

Office has a collection of files for prospects who did not have a SEP available when they came in for appointments. Or they came in for quotes and we never heard back from them. We also had an assistant for our older agent last year who had an interesting (for lack of a better word) way of filing items.:twitchy:

Long & short of it: I now have a pile of folders that were never followed up on (other agent has no clue who most of these people are or why they were here) and looking for the best way to try to get them back for AEP/OEP or at least for a review/possible new quote for disability or Life. Yes, some of them may have gone to another agency, but on the off chance...

Ideas?

I had a hard time deciding which forum to put this in...I have Seniors, ACA, Life and Disability all in one scary file cabinet.

Office has a collection of files for prospects who did not have a SEP available when they came in for appointments. Or they came in for quotes and we never heard back from them. We also had an assistant for our older agent last year who had an interesting (for lack of a better word) way of filing items.:twitchy:

Long & short of it: I now have a pile of folders that were never followed up on (other agent has no clue who most of these people are or why they were here) and looking for the best way to try to get them back for AEP/OEP or at least for a review/possible new quote for disability or Life. Yes, some of them may have gone to another agency, but on the off chance...

Ideas?

Call them.

Or someone like me will.

Last edited:
I can make that happen. Just thinking about "since our agency dropped the ball on your quote that we never followed up on" is not nearly as much fun as "when you came in to get insurance because you felt disrespected by the lady who does your employer benefits and that didn't qualify you for an SEP, November 1st is your lucky day!"

I can make that happen. Just thinking about "since our agency dropped the ball on your quote that we never followed up on" is not nearly as much fun as "when you came in to get insurance because you felt disrespected by the lady who does your employer benefits and that didn't qualify you for an SEP, November 1st is your lucky day!"

They probably do not remember what happened. If they do, Feel, Felt, Found. Or Next!

Or, send the information to me and I will call them. You most likely have a wealth of info on the quote sheets. What would you pay for a filtered lead like that?

Send it all to Wino Blues at G Mail .com. I will gladly send you a Starbucks card. That is more than you are getting from them sitting in that file cabinet. :biggrin:

EDIT:

"Just thinking about "since our agency dropped the ball on your quote that we never followed up on...."

""“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”""

Seriously.

"Hi Mrs. Smith. This is Tracey here at ABC Insurance. In reviewing our files we prepared a quote for you back on XXXX for YYY insurance. I don't see that we ever got your coverage in place. I wanted to follow up and see what you had done and if you were still happy with your coverage."

Or anything else, just get the conversation going. They don't know that you dropped the ball, most probably don't even remember the agency, but they still have a problem.

Nooooooo.... don't say it that way.

I start mine with a simple "A while back you had an interest in life insurance (or any other type) and nothing happened back then for what ever reason. I am contacting you today to see if you're still open to receiving quotes and maybe now is a better time than before. "
"would you like to take a look now?"
or something along those lines. Cause really you may not know the actual reason for the inaction so why dwell on it or make it negative. You're asking hey what do you want to do now?

I used to call them saying the price has dropped since we last talked, can we get together to lock in the price. It worked sometimes.

MDRT meeting taught us this one which also works sometimes. I just wanted to call you before I close your file. "Pause.2 secs " Are you still interested or should I close your file permanently. " Let them say bla bla bla smokescreen" And you respond saying I was hoping you would say bla bla bla, thats why I wanted to call you before I put your file away. Can we get together "alternate date and time close"

Here is my line nowadays.

I call and say I hoped you put in place the life insurance when we talked about 6 months ago. I know you probably ended using someone else, but I really enjoyed meeting with you that day. I am trying to build my business with people just like yourselves. Could we meet again next week so that I can be a resource to you if you ever have a question. They will most likely answer they have not done anything yet.

They will tell you right away if they hated you and bought somewhere else. You have no sale then. Anything else is a fair game. Either they bought something but they are not so sure or they ended up doing nothing.

I liked the answer we dropped the ball, but it is negative so you have to add something positive to that type of line. It is better to say Our agency is not so good at being pushy and calling all the time

Last edited:
Yup, what those guys are saying.

The take away (closing the file) or in my case closing the email thread. Sent a couple via email and text this morning. One just responded ""Hi Lee this is ****** I think I'm probably a little confused I have been waiting to hear back from you I thought you were working on finding another policy for me and *****"" This is a three life home. Now it is me doing them a favor by reopening the case.

Another deal I called yesterday on a terming out policy that I talked to the guy a year ago. He just got his renewal. The monthly premium is going up about Xs9. He is motivated now.

thanks for the feedback. I will definitely make it more positive for life & disability. As for ACA, I'm not terribly concerned, it really is do you remember when we spoke and you didn't qualify for an SEP, well now is your chance.

There is a certain amount of batting cleanup at the agency that I work for, past agents and one much, much older fellow who has slowed down a bit and is focusing on annuities and Med Supps. I am lucky that we have an amazing amount of detail on current and past clients, so I lucked into a decent amount of business right through the door. Referrals are pretty high %, I just needed some better ideas for bringing them back.

Thanks!

----------

thanks for the info & kick in the ass.

One Life (UL), one med supp, one PDP and a request for a quote for a partnership to meet on Monday. I made 8 calls.:biggrin:

thanks for the feedback. I will definitely make it more positive for life & disability. As for ACA, I'm not terribly concerned, it really is do you remember when we spoke and you didn't qualify for an SEP, well now is your chance.

There is a certain amount of batting cleanup at the agency that I work for, past agents and one much, much older fellow who has slowed down a bit and is focusing on annuities and Med Supps. I am lucky that we have an amazing amount of detail on current and past clients, so I lucked into a decent amount of business right through the door. Referrals are pretty high %, I just needed some better ideas for bringing them back.

Thanks!

----------

thanks for the info & kick in the ass.

One Life (UL), one med supp, one PDP and a request for a quote for a partnership to meet on Monday. I made 8 calls.:biggrin:

Excellent!

What did those 8 leads cost you?

Once you have called through a hundred or so you will have even more information and a slight rapport with the few that you feel you can call before they have a birthday or renew on their old policy. Toss the rest and feel good about it.

Back