Uandiwin

I was recently offered advice (by privatemessage) by a contributor to this forum. It wasn't 5 minutes into the conversation that I realized I was being "pitched" on an organization called "uandiwin"

Is anyone familiar with this organization?

The organization has some merit. I know some people in UandIwin who are supposedly doing well.

I also know folks in Prepaid Legal, Melaleuca and other MLM organizations that are doing very well.

UandIwin can be good for the rookie agent, and for an experienced agent who wants to build an organization and earn overrides. They are not a fit (for the most part) for those who can produce and care nothing about managing a downline organization.

One of my contacts at UandIwin recently left the organization and I have not had the opportunity to follow up with him & find out why he left. I am curious, because he had been there for several years and supposedly was doing well. My interest in UandIwin is not that strong so I have not taken the time to follow up with him.

One of the most successful builders of the UandIwin network recently left the organization. I have met him on several occasions and found him to be honest and passionate about his work. He was successful in other marketing ventures before getting involved in the insurance business, and was very successful within the UandIwin organization.

A few weeks ago his resignation was announced which caused me to wonder why he would leave. The carefully worded announcement made it clear there was more to the story than was being said.

In essence, he was asked to leave because of what was termed a violation of his non-compete. UandIwin offers life & health insurance products and nothing else (at least at this time). This individual had recently started marketing some investment products that did not compete in any way with the UandIwin product line. In correspondence to some of his downline, he mentioned this alternate product that might be a good companion to the UandIwin portfolio.

One person took the correspondence as a solicitation to direct attention away from the UandIwin cause and forwarded the memo to upper management. They viewed this as a solicitation and a direct violation of the terms of his agreement with UandIwin and strongly suggested they part ways.

A high percentage of the recruits in UandIwin, and as a byproduct, a high percentage of the revenue generated can be tied directly and indirectly to this individual. The action of UandIwin makes one pause and wonder just what kind of organization would react in such a harsh manner when (based on what I know) there was no attempt to compete directly with UandIwin, nor was there any attempt to lure producers away from the organization.

The individual who left will now have to move his carrier appointments to another MGA/IMO or go direct. He will lose his overrides that were tied to the UandIwin downline organization (and they were significant).

So who was wrong?

You be the judge.

somarco said:
The individual who left will now have to move his carrier appointments to another MGA/IMO or go direct. He will lose his overrides that were tied to the UandIwin downline organization (and they were significant).
So who was wrong?

You be the judge.

In the case of Assurant it's not that simple. If you want to move your appointment you must cancel your contract and wait three months of writing zero business before you can get another contract. I'm dealing with someone now who's with UandIWin and wants to blow back out to the RSD channel. He can't. He has to cancel and not write a deal for three months which is obviously not an option. Better know all of your options and concequences before you assign all your business, agents and overrides to another organization.

What really concerns me about your story is that UandWin is saying that you are completely independent. I spoke with them on the phone at length and it was stated over and over that I could basically do whatever I wanted. From this story that's clearly not the case.

Can anyone here tell us whether or not you can move life appointments from one MGA to another?

cancel and not write a deal for three months which is obviously not an option.

Well . . . there are other carriers besides Assurant that would be glad to accept his business. When I have changed IMO/MGA in the past, and the "do not write" clause has been an issue, I always found someone to take my business.

What really concerns me about your story is that UandWin is saying that you are completely independent. I spoke with them on the phone at length and it was stated over and over that I could basically do whatever I wanted. From this story that's clearly not the case

Apparently your independence stops when you suggest other revenue streams to your downline, even though they do not compete with existing revenue streams.

Can anyone here tell us whether or not you can move life appointments from one MGA to another?

I have moved F&G (on several occasions), Americo, CNA, Genworth and others without any problem. Some had the waiting period imposed which simply meant I placed business with another carrier.

Not a problem.

From what I gathered during my phone call, technically you don't have a downline. Having agents under you means they're contracted under you. With UandIWin no one is directly contracted under you - instead everyone is with UandIWin and you're merely promised an override/bonus as they write business. That means UandIWin - not you, calls all the shots. Not a great system.

I could imagine having all my agents go with UandIWin and then we get into some kind of argument. I call and say "but my agents..." and they stop me right there: "John, you don't have any agents - we do."

And where's my leverage? Saying I'm a GA with 10 great producers. With the UandIWin system all of us goes under them as writing agents - including me. No I have no control, no clout, no anything. Am I missing why anyone would do this?

Downline is the term used by UandIwin reps during the presentation(s) I have attended. Even though agents (and sub-agents) are contracted via the IMO (UandIwin) they do appear in your genealogy. You are paid thru 12 levels (believe this is correct) and as wide as you care to go.

You commissions (and those of your downline) are paid direct by the carrier. Your bonus comes from the IMO.

This is another bone of contention. How do you know the downline production (and in turn the bonus) is accurate? You can't cross check against carrier reports. You may have folks downline that are contracted with say, Golden Rule but you are not. You will be paid a bonus on their GR production but there is no way to substantiate their production at all.

You simply have to trust the IMO.

There are a lot of good reasons to sign up with UandI, but this latest issue just adds to other items mentioned above (and in other posts) weighing in against UandI.

Back