Voicemails... Do You Leave One? What's Your Script?

Should I just try to emphasize that I'm local and I'd like to help them figure out their insurance situation?

You'll have better luck telling them "you'd like to help them figure out" their toenail fungus situation...

Need clarification...

These are cold calls? To whom? Why are you saying you're calling them due to their "insurance inquiry"?

I've found that people are much more responsive if you are offering to help answer their questions, instead of just selling them something. To them, you're no different than any other insurance agent. Build some trust first, second quotes second.

I think you're on to something.

Let's think about this a second...do you think that the people that you leave a message for can't live another day without calling someone back to arrange a time for an insurance agent to come over and try to ram a policy home?

As soon as they hear "insurance agent", and "Mutual of Omaha" - you're done! You're leaving a message that makes them NOT want to call you back. You need to come up with one that would actually make them WANT to call you back.

Another tip: use your first AND last name. It will give you some credibility. "This is Stephen...." is how telemarketers speak.

Good luck.

Thank you for that!

Somewhere along the line phone etiquette has become a thing of the past, especially by "telemarketers".

If an agent wants the prospect to listen to their opening statement they should not say, "Hi Betty, this is Jason, how you doing today". "How you doing today" is not the way to start a conversation. The agent should introduce himself using his full name and immediately state the reason for the call. An agent should never assume that the prospect is going to think that you are a "buddy" of his.

Leaving a voice mail will not be successful. More people will call back if you don't leave a message.

Sorry Paul, didn't mean to get off on a tangent.

Maybe it's just me, but I do leave a message, a short message. Identify myself upfront. I don't really use script as I tend to delete scripted messages from anybody. Mine tend to be warm calls as they've expressed interest in advance. I leave my name, my company name and the reason I am calling which boils down to this.."Do you take any medications or have issues with things like cholesterol or blood pressure as they will effect underwriting. I want to give you the most accurate quotes to review and that information will help me provide it. I can be reached at 123-456-7890 or if email is easier for you..

And roughly 40% call back or email back.

I don't ask for a sit down at that point in time.

Maybe it's just me, but I do leave a message, a short message. Identify myself upfront. I don't really use script as I tend to delete scripted messages from anybody. Mine tend to be warm calls as they've expressed interest in advance. I leave my name, my company name and the reason I am calling which boils down to this.."Do you take any medications or have issues with things like cholesterol or blood pressure as they will effect underwriting. I want to give you the most accurate quotes to review and that information will help me provide it. I can be reached at 123-456-7890 or if email is easier for you..

And roughly 40% call back or email back.

I don't ask for a sit down at that point in time.

I like that approach. I also appreciate everyone's advice; it helps a lot.

I think my new approach is...

A) Don't leave a voicemail the first time I call.
B) Try to call at a different time of day on the second call.
C) If I still can't get in touch, then leave a voicemail, but ask a detailed question they might feel obligated to call back and answer to.

I also like the email option.

Or...maybe I could use "Yo, my twitter is @steve-o-omaha, hit me up."

I buy the same leads you need a face to face if you live in the same area. go ring that door bell. Hi i,m ....... from omaha I was just on a call around the corner and want to introduce my self. Your in the door. put the phone down.

my take on voice mails...ask yourself " DO I return phone calls from voice mails, from someone I do not know, and they are trying to sell me something".....the answer is probably NO, so why leave them.

Try this one:
Hi, I'm an agent with Mutual of Omaha, did you hear our Med Supps just had a 28% increase? I can help you with that! Give me a call back at (number).

my take on voice mails...ask yourself " DO I return phone calls from voice mails, from someone I do not know, and they are trying to sell me something".....the answer is probably NO, so why leave them.

If I was looking for info and the person didn't sound overbearing, I would call them back. Not a chance if it was a cold call.

Try this one:
Hi, I'm an agent with Mutual of Omaha, did you hear our Med Supps just had a 28% increase? I can help you with that! Give me a call back at (number).

Don't sell med supps unless I occasionally run across someone that needs one. Haven't got that memo yet though... Last time I checked, we were among the cheapest Plan Fs in the state.

Back