We are AIG and that's how we roll

STIBROKER

Like My post and enter the DRAWING,,,,
Texas
Executives at bailed-out AIG stayed at $500 a night Californian resort | Business | guardian.co.ukExecutives at bailed-out AIG stayed at $500 a night Californian resort

A week earlier the Federal Reserve had to extend a huge credit line to AIG to keep the troubled firm from collapsing

The world's largest insurance company, AIG, spent $440,000 (£250,000) on a lavish corporate retreat at one of California's top beachside resorts just a week after accepting an $85bn emergency loan from the US government to stave off bankruptcy.
Details of the getaway emerged at a congressional hearing today where lawmakers expressed outrage at AIG executives "wining and dining" at the height of a financial crisis.
An invoice from the St Regis resort in Monarch Beach, south of Los Angeles, shows that AIG spent $139,375 on rooms, $147,301 on "banquets", $23,380 on spa treatments and $6,939 on golf at an eight-day company event which began on September 22.
A week earlier, on September 17, the Federal Reserve had to extend a huge credit line to AIG to keep the troubled firm from collapsing due to vast liabilities on risky financial insurance policies.
"Average Americans are suffering economically," said Henry Waxman, chairman of the House oversight committee. "They are losing their jobs, their homes and their health insurance. Yet less than one week after the taxpayers rescued AIG, company executives could be found wining and dining at one of the most exclusive resorts in the nation."
Set in 172 acres of grounds on a bluff overlooking the Pacific ocean, the St Regis resort describes itself as "Tuscan inspired". Rates for its 325 rooms are typically upwards of $500 a night and the travel guide Fodor's gives the place a rave review, saying: "Exclusivity and indulgence carry the day here; you can even have someone unpack for you."
An AIG spokesman said the event was to entertain independent insurance salesmen of AIG American General - one of the company's main US operations which offers life, health and accident policies.
"It was a recognition event for independent agents of AIG American General who distribute insurance policies," said the spokesman. "It was planned months ago."
In written evidence to Congress, AIG's former chief executive, Robert Willumstad, blamed an "unexpected and unprecedented market-wide crisis of confidence" for the company's financial predicament.
AIG wrote off more than $50bn in unrealised losses on complex mortgage-related instruments such as credit default swaps. But Willumstad, who stood down as a condition of the federal bail-out, blamed mark-to-market accounting rules for accentuating the impact of the company's exposure, prompting downgrades by credit rating agencies.
"Looking back at my time as CEO, I don't believe AIG could have done anything differently," said Willumstad. "The market seizure was an unprecedented global catastrophe."

Just another primer for why the government shouldn't be in the business of anything.

They installed Ed Liddy (who should be the "poster child" for excessive CEO comp and incompetence) as CEO and Chairman.

Before Ed took on this patriotic assignment, he was the CEO that almost wrecked the Allstate Corp., after playing a large part in the mismanagement and dismantling of one of America's proudest and oldest franchises; Sears, Roebuck & Co.

Perfect man for the job overseeing the taxpayer's investment.

This most certainly looks bad at first and I am not defending there actions but all of the facts should be looked at. This was an agent incentive based trip based on production from last year and every agent likes to win trips. I did not attend but some of my associates did.

Aig will be sending out 1099’s to the agents that attended the conference therefore passing on the cost to the agents that attended so at the end of the year it will be a neutral expenditure for them.

Here is the next trip hope we all make it.

American General
Hayman Island & Sydney, Australia
April 28 - May 4, 2009

Being as you and I and every other tax payer in the country now own AIG we might as well do everything we can to support them.

Just a thought, let the blasting begin,

Lee

Lee Benham

President
Benham & Associates

(402) 935-0160
www.leebenhamassociates.com

M&M, you're absolutely right. Let's not forget that the primary person in charge of the blowup (the insurance division that insured the funky derivatives) used to work with Ivan Boesky and Michael Milken (for the yung'uns, those would be two very very very bad people from the time of disco!).

I've been to that resort and I can say it is "cheap" at $500 per night. I would've expected them to spend more, but perhaps they were getting the corporate rate. Hmmmm...I wonder whether they just sent the bill directly to Hank (I know how to use a shank, right up the taxpayer's a**) Paulson?

Somebody, get me a proctologist! I need to get Uncle Sam's fist out of my rear!

This most certainly looks bad at first and I am not defending there actions but all of the facts should be looked at. This was an agent incentive based trip based on production from last year and every agent likes to win trips. I did not attend but some of my associates did.

Aig will be sending out 1099’s to the agents that attended the conference therefore passing on the cost to the agents that attended so at the end of the year it will be a neutral expenditure for them.

Here is the next trip hope we all make it.

American General
Hayman Island & Sydney, Australia
April 28 - May 4, 2009

Being as you and I and every other tax payer in the country now own AIG we might as well do everything we can to support them.

Just a thought, let the blasting begin,

Lee

Lee Benham

President
Benham & Associates

(402) 935-0160
www.leebenhamassociates.comhttp://www.leebenhamassociates.comhttp://www.leebenhamassociates.com

Company trips are company trips. Do we want AIG (and all the subsidiaries) just to completely shut down because the idiots at the top? I don't agree with the bailout but business must continue. Besides this was a company trip for American General, a subsidiary.

Agents earned those trips. And they will pay taxes on the fun! So they are indirectly helping with the bailout...

Company trips are company trips. Do we want AIG (and all the subsidiaries) just to completely shut down because the idiots at the top? I don't agree with the bailout but business must continue. Besides this was a company trip for American General, a subsidiary.

Agents earned those trips. And they will pay taxes on the fun! So they are indirectly helping with the bailout...
I agree with you. Actually, the agents are directly helping repay the loan by continuing to sell. Those sales (past, present, and future) represent the value in American General.

To repay the loan, AIG must sell American General. For AG to bring top dollar, its top agents must keep up their sales. They're the best hope AIG and the taxpayers have.

There are many forums and blogs where folks are following Waxman/Congress and the media tripe/hype on the trip. Most of the posters seem totally confused about how the bailout works. But I would expect the folks on this forum to understand and support AIG's efforts to erase this black mark on the whole industry.

AIG is a huge, easy target and politicians are all cheap whores.

The more the whores can divert attention from their own misdeeds, the more heat "greedy Wall Street" will take.

I agree with you. Actually, the agents are directly helping repay the loan by continuing to sell. Those sales (past, present, and future) represent the value in American General.

To repay the loan, AIG must sell American General. For AG to bring top dollar, its top agents must keep up their sales. They're the best hope AIG and the taxpayers have.

While this is all true, the public doesn't understand it. They perceive (more important than reality) that it's a bunch of fatcat execs lounging by the pool sipping boat drinks on the taxpayer's dollar.

The biggest problem is that the timing couldn't have been worse...

Back