What Career Options Are There for Me?

I have a L&H license in Texas. Have been selling FE for 6-8 months now and not doing as well as I'd hoped. Looking to get out of sales and into something like adjusting or underwriting. What are my options? I do not have a college degree if that is relevant. Any advice is appreciated.

I have a L&H license in Texas. Have been selling FE for 6-8 months now and not doing as well as I'd hoped. Looking to get out of sales and into something like adjusting or underwriting. What are my options? I do not have a college degree if that is relevant. Any advice is appreciated.

I never went to college either. I don't know, but I would think that most companies are going to want someone with a college degree for those positions.

You're from Texas...have you considered being a cowboy?:)

Where do you live?

Post your resume on all the sites, make sure your license information is on there.

There's a couple of Texas sized buildings in Richardson that hire people with licenses all the time....

Or suck it up, realize that it takes 3 years and keep plugging.

I never went to college either. I don't know, but I would think that most companies are going to want someone with a college degree for those positions.

You're from Texas...have you considered being a cowboy?:)

All most "underwriters" need to know is how to read a manual..

All most "underwriters" need to know is how to read a manual..

Sadly, many employers now require a higher level of education than the job requires. They use college degrees to weed out candidates even though the job doesn't require anywhere near that level of education.

Just like Apple said "there's an app for that"... well, in financial services, there's probably a "Designation" for that.

FLMI: Fellow, Life Management Institute

The FLMI is the "underwriter" designation.

The FLMI designation covers important topics including:

•Compliance and Legal
•Finance and Accounting
•Institutional Investing
•Life Insurance
•Management and Leadership
•Marketing and Business Acquisition
•Operations and Administration
•Product Design and Development

Just curious but why do you feel compelled to stay in the industry and just switch to a different role? Most people are drawn to insurance because of the money which comes with the sales role, or the aspect of helping people which again comes with the sales role. I've never met anyone who was really moved to be an underwriter.

Not trying to call you out or anything, just wondering.

Do you have an up-to-date linkedin profile? Linkedin is always sending me info about who is hiring in the insurance world.

Just curious but why do you feel compelled to stay in the industry and just switch to a different role? Most people are drawn to insurance because of the money which comes with the sales role, or the aspect of helping people which again comes with the sales role. I've never met anyone who was really moved to be an underwriter.

Not trying to call you out or anything, just wondering.

Do you have an up-to-date linkedin profile? Linkedin is always sending me info about who is hiring in the insurance world.

Not everybody is suited for sales.. Some are much happier in an office setting with a guaranteed income. Without underwriters, actuaries, claims processors, etc. there would be no need for agents. Every tooth on the cog is essential..

Not everybody is suited for sales.. Some are much happier in an office setting with a guaranteed income. Without underwriters, actuaries, claims processors, etc. there would be no need for agents. Every tooth on the cog is essential..

Oh and I understand that part completely. I'm just unclear on why it has to be an office job in the insurance industry. If it were me I might look into other fields as well and not limit my search to insurance specifically.

Back