What's the Average Age of an Insurance Sales Person?

I'm 53. I figure I'll go strong for another 10-years and then likely retire somewhere nice. In retirement I'll still buy some leads and work them leisurely because I like to do that more than I like to fish or play golf.

I think those results are skewed due to the FE forum....industry avg is higher.

I dont think anyone here would try an claim that the insurance forum's polls are scientific... I mean, I seem to remember when Rick voted in the poll, he said he was 18 lol

But, I think the poll would give at least a fair ballbark idea of the average age.

I'm 30... But whenever I go to carrier or FMO meetings, I'm normally one of the youngest in the room. Most seem to be in their 40's to 50's.

I can't wait to be in my 50's after having done this year after year...

According to LIMRA, the average age of a life insurance producer in the U.S. is now 57. And I'd venture to guess there are probably more producers in their 60s than in their 30s - and maybe 40s, too.

Thanks for all the follow ups everyone it makes me feel better. Im also going to show this to my wife and say "hahaha" old, you think I'm to old now!

I'm 30... But whenever I go to carrier or FMO meetings, I'm normally one of the youngest in the room. Most seem to be in their 40's to 50's.

I'm 36... and yes, I've typically been the youngest in the room too. Easy to tell based on the amount of grey hair I see.

Back with a career shop though, I'd see a few younger people who were recruited right out of college.

Thanks for all the follow ups everyone it makes me feel better. Im also going to show this to my wife and say "hahaha" old, you think I'm to old now!

I have absolutely no science to back this up, but with jobs like life insurance, real estate, mortgages, etc, folks seem to be infinitely more likely to do business with older folks than younger kids. When I started in the insurance industry my age was my biggest handicap. You know why? Because I thought age was my biggest handicap. My aunt is a real estate agent and she pointed out that folks do a lot better in real estate if you have more "life experience" because you're more relatable. If you're looking to buy a new cell phone? Sure, get someone from the geek squad. If you're looking to make an investment? Maybe you don't want to deal with someone that's just out of college and would rather work with someone that has enough "life experience" that you can look them in the eye and believe they really know where you're coming from and can then help you.

Don't let your age be a handicap, treat it like a strength!

Back