What's the Average Age of an Insurance Sales Person?

My wife won't say it but I believe she thinks I'm to old for a new career. I'm 53 and starting over after 10 years of being a stay at home father in order to take care of my awesome twin boys who are special needs. My wife continued to work and also keep us covered with medical insurance. I sold a small business back then that I had for 12 years. I got my health license 4 years ago and tried to build a business while still taking care of my kids but could not put enough time into the business. My boys are doing much better now so here I am 4 year later with a new life license and career. I did a lot of marketing, door knocking, face to face and cold calling at my business I sold, so I don't think I would have tried this if I started totally green....

Companies love someone with your age and experience. Do not even hesitate about your age. NYL, Guardian, MetLife, etc. would love to have you.

I began selling life and health insurance at 24, I am now 51 and about to exit the business.

IMHO, It has NOT changed for the better.

Before the Great Recession My income was $15,000 a month mainly in small to mid size groups. Today after the Recession and the PPACA, my commissions are less than $1,000 a month.

Commissions have also dropped to unacceptable levels, Finally I will never sell another individual policy and won't sell any United Healthcare product.

I have absolutely no science to back this up, but with jobs like life insurance, real estate, mortgages, etc, folks seem to be infinitely more likely to do business with older folks than younger kids. When I started in the insurance industry my age was my biggest handicap. You know why? Because I thought age was my biggest handicap. My aunt is a real estate agent and she pointed out that folks do a lot better in real estate if you have more "life experience" because you're more relatable. If you're looking to buy a new cell phone? Sure, get someone from the geek squad. If you're looking to make an investment? Maybe you don't want to deal with someone that's just out of college and would rather work with someone that has enough "life experience" that you can look them in the eye and believe they really know where you're coming from and can then help you.

Don't let your age be a handicap, treat it like a strength!

lol when I started I used to think my age was a handicap too (Im 28 now). but I learned to turn it into a strength. how you ask?
I realized all the Medicare people I sell to, have a lot of stories they like to tell their kids and grandkids! and what a coincidence, I'm the same age as their kids (and in some cases, I even remind them of their kids :1cute:)! So I let them tell me one or two of their stories, and ask questions about their stories, and before you know it, they are laughing about "the good ol' days" and they cant wait to have me come back out during AEP to tell me more about their younger days :yes::yes:

"I began selling life and health insurance at 24, I am now 51 and about to exit the business.
Before the Great Recession My income was $15,000 a month mainly in small to mid size groups. Today after the Recession and the PPACA, my commissions are less than $1,000 a month."
I hate to see ya go.....it was a good run.

26 years old here, got in the game about 2 years ago, started over the phone doing health, once I got comfortable moved to an agency that focuses on face to face.

Where I was at(glorified call center) the average age was late 30's. Where I'm at now MoO, average age is definitely in the late 40's early 50's, with some agents being well into there 70's. Half of the advisors I work with started around your age 50's. I feel pepole expect "the insurance man" to be a bit older.

General agents 35-40, with home office guys being in their 60's+

Go get 'em...

I began selling life and health insurance at 24, I am now 51 and about to exit the business.

Before the Great Recession My income was $15,000 a month mainly in small to mid size groups. Today after the Recession and the PPACA, my commissions are less than $1,000 a month.

Commissions have also dropped to unacceptable levels, Finally I will never sell another individual policy and won't sell any United Healthcare product.

What a horror story! I wonder if any of the "ultra bright" :nah:;) aspiring young agents who come on here and say that want to start in insurance selling individual health are reading?

Multiple stream of income. You can sell health and cross sell a life insurance and dental. That's more than $1000 a Mont

Back