What's the Average Age of an Insurance Sales Person?

robertrr

Expert
My wife won't say it but I believe she thinks I'm to old for a new career. I'm 53 and starting over after 10 years of being a stay at home father in order to take care of my awesome twin boys who are special needs. My wife continued to work and also keep us covered with medical insurance. I sold a small business back then that I had for 12 years. I got my health license 4 years ago and tried to build a business while still taking care of my kids but could not put enough time into the business. My boys are doing much better now so here I am 4 year later with a new life license and career. I did a lot of marketing, door knocking, face to face and cold calling at my business I sold, so I don't think I would have tried this if I started totally green....

Insurance is not a young man's game. In most lines you'll be ahead of the curve for a lot of reasons. What line(s) were you looking to start in? What did you do before?

I got in at 50. Wish I'd started sooner. Most important factor to success is having a way to get in front of people.

Given the turnover of younger ages, I think the actual average age is in the 60's.

I know lots of agents still working hard in their 70's and a number in their 80's.

It's a perfect business to never have to retire from, which is important when you consider what the Fed is doing to the U.S. dollar.

Given the turnover of younger ages, I think the actual average age is in the 60's.

I know lots of agents still working hard in their 70's and a number in their 80's.

It's a perfect business to never have to retire from, which is important when you consider what the Fed is doing to the U.S. dollar.

I will be 70 in less than two weeks.. Not full time any more but still making a nice supplemental income form it.. and, if I ever retire from what I am doing, I could return to full time overnight. 53? just a young 'un for this business.

You are only too old when you can't walk up to the house anymore, or use the phone anymore, or perform the actions required in order to fill out and submit an application. Your (our) age is perfect for talking to the FE clientele because they can relate to others of the same age. When you get to the point of soiling your pants while sitting on a clients couch then it may be time to retire. However, there are some homes that wouldn't even be noticed.

My wife won't say it but I believe she thinks I'm to old for a new career. I'm 53 and starting over after 10 years of being a stay at home father in order to take care of my awesome twin boys who are special needs. My wife continued to work and also keep us covered with medical insurance. I sold a small business back then that I had for 12 years. I got my health license 4 years ago and tried to build a business while still taking care of my kids but could not put enough time into the business. My boys are doing much better now so here I am 4 year later with a new life license and career. I did a lot of marketing, door knocking, face to face and cold calling at my business I sold, so I don't think I would have tried this if I started totally green....

This might answer your question:

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...gent-discussions/poll-how-old-you-t65239.html

Back