White Coat Syndrome

insurehound

Guru
100+ Post Club
Escondido
I have a prospect that has hypertension. Apparently to make mattes worse, his BP now skyrockets when he visits his doctor. It is controlled other than this issue but how do you prove that?

Not good for applying for Life Insurance. He does self report his BP reading at home which look good but I know what underwriters think...clients are all liars :)

Here's my question; is White Coat Syndrome a case of "uncontrolled BP"? I would think that if it skyrocketing when he's nervous when he sees his doctor then it's skyrocketing when he's under any stress. A good medication should help fix that in most situations. But what do I know, I'm just an insurance agent.

Either way, anyone know how underwriters look at this? Seems to me that this is a good way for an insurance to charge some more premium!

Does he take any medication?

Usually a doc will take a couple readings begining and towards the end if they sense they make the patient nervous.

I think your prospect needs to realize he has hypertension. What are his numbers, you can review underwritting requirements and go from there. You also haven't mentioned height and weight or lifestyle.

Yes, he has been diagnosed with hypertnetion and does take 5mg of Norvasc. But the problem is what numbers an underwriter will use...the 120s over 70s that are self reported or the 150s over 90s that he has at the doctors office.

Very tough to prove. Those numbers aren't all that bad for white coat syndrome though, and could still keep him near standard.

They do take up to 3 readings, and they can be spaced, but make sure the paramed company is aware of this issue.

I wouldn't waste time talking to underwriting about self administered results.

had this very same argument with several u/w recently. Basically the response I got back from three carriers is that "Whitecoat syndrome" is still uncontrolled HBP. If you can't control your BP around white coats, it only proves you can't control your BP. That's like saying we know you can't control your BP, because you can't control you BP.

I would, however, suggest John Hancock for HBP ratings. I got a total decline on whitecoat syndrome at 3 carriers, and JH took her standard and accounted for the whitecoat syndrome.

I have the same problems personally with the bp, they will usually take and record the 3rd reading after about 15 min. Don't have any answers for you, other than have the nurse wait till the end of the interview to take the bp. Good luck!

I have the same problem. My file says hypertension because thats what they record, the first reading. I've never been precripted meds because my second reading is always normal.

wouldn't the prospect also blow his bp for the paramed?

Unless of course his doctor is really really hot and the para really ugly?
Why are you thinking he won't have the same high readings?

Relying on his home BP kit for readings is about the worst possible, the home kits aren't very accurate (I own two)
There is a strong possibility his self administered tests aren't being done correctly. Has he ever taken his Bp kit into his doctor's office to test?

150's over 90's is probably a standard at worst. I was 200/120 at rest when I was diagnosed.

It's going to be a combination of chart notes and medical examiner results at the paramed. Brace the prospect. He definately is someone who needs coverage if he can't control his bp.

Good luck, trying not to be a downer, but I think your prospect has a little deninal going on and either has a bad home bp test kit or isn't using it properly.

When my doctor takes my BP, it is usually slightly elevated. When his CRNP, Christine, takes it, it is always normal. Especially after she holds my wrist while taking my pulse.

Back