Who Do You Like for "ease of Doing Business & Best Comp" on Term?

CFP83

Guru
100+ Post Club
Over the past year I have been examining an area of my practice.....term insurance cases, where the likelihood of term conversion "seems to be pretty low". Over the last six years I have not been as business-smart as I should have been, writing all my term through my main mutual relationship thinking that, I'll take half the comp because everyone will eventually convert to permenant right? Well, in looking at my current client mix, as well as my current overhead, I have come to the conclusion that:
a) only a small percent of term ever converts to permanent, and
b) for term cases where conversion isn't important i need to utilize a company where it is easy, quick, and the comp is good.

I haven't changed my beliefs one bit-if conversion is a sure bet, I will take half the comp and write the term coverage with a highly ranked mutual (Mass Mutual, Guardian, or Penn Mutual) becuase of the great permanent line-up these company's offer. However If I have a 30 year old male who needs $1,000,000 of level 20 term, the $380 of comp this case generates through Mass Mutual will not even pay for my time, staff, office space, and general overhead of actually writing the business.

I know there are financially stable company's like Assurity that will let you do "e-apps" (three times as quick as Mass or Penn's traditional underwriting process) and with the same identical annual premium as the Mass example above, the comp is around 2 1/2 times more at roughly $950.

What are your thoughts and who do you guys like based on these thoughts?

Last edited:
Re: Who Do You Like for "ease of Doing Business & Best Comp" on T

Reliastar, SBLI, West Coast Life. Good rates, good comp, quick underwriting, won't put you through the ringer on underwriting for the most part.

Penn comp is around 90%, why not put it there and keep a good conversion line-up. I do realize the underwriting is slower.

And with West Coast you do not have to be F2F. tele app. Great on build issues, Diabetics (controlled), and MVR issues. At least in my experience.
West Coast / Protective also have some different options like the income provider and and the mod 25

Hmmm... I've been advised to avoid WCL because of time-in-underwriting (like Banner.) Faulty info?

Hmmm... I've been advised to avoid WCL because of time-in-underwriting (like Banner.) Faulty info?

I may not be the guy to ask. I tend to send stuff there that I know that there are issues with. Build, DUI etc... I expect that they will order APS etc.. But I have been surprised at how fast some stuff comes out and the offers we get. They are not SI.

Good to know, Wino. Thanks.

You're in Ohio so I realize it's a different deal but: Ohio National? Great term rates, especially around one mill, also their plus product which is fully convertible is not that much more expensive than their regular term product--you could take the not so sure it's a sure bet and leave the door open to a conversion, they have solid UL and WL.

I'll also second the SBLI suggestion.

BTW, I too started to come to this conclusion a little while ago. Not everyone is going to convert, so not a lot of reason to go with the convertible term product. Term isn't necessarily the inventory I was taught it was supposed to be...:skeptical:

You're in Ohio so I realize it's a different deal but: Ohio National? Great term rates, especially around one mill, also their plus product which is fully convertible is not that much more expensive than their regular term product--you could take the not so sure it's a sure bet and leave the door open to a conversion, they have solid UL and WL.

I'll also second the SBLI suggestion.

BTW, I too started to come to this conclusion a little while ago. Not everyone is going to convert, so not a lot of reason to go with the convertible term product. Term isn't necessarily the inventory I was taught it was supposed to be...:skeptical:

I second, ONL. also Cincinnati Life. I prefer Cinci.
Both have lite apps. ONL's is easier.

OTOH, I do not write the non plus. Not that big of a difference in premium to leave my client with out that option.
Stuff happens. Stuff changes. I do a fair amount of conversions. Some of the term I wrote, a lot I did not. Most had no intention of converting.

Example:I am rewriting one of my ONL terms. Quoted Pref. I have written him 5 times in the last 20 years. Always term alway pref'd. <screeching halt> Table 4 min. Quoted $5,000 premium is like tripling. Conversion?!? If my BGA cannot get him a better deal. I will look at dialing down a pref'd UL.

I still see it as inventory. If I do not convert it I will re write it. Non performing UL orphans are the same.

just my 2 cents.

Back