Would my SO Qualify for Term Life?

You've spoken to an underwriter who will not rate up someone 6 years removed from a heroin hospitalization? And is a current weed user... Somehow I don't think a standard rating is in the cards here.

Please check and let me know what you find out. I would bet a table rating or a very high premium for the coverage. That's a lot for an insurance company to overlook in underwriting. Hospitalization for drug use and continued drug use? You're certain he's even underwritten in this case?

I'm talking about the pot smoking. Foresters is non tobacco for pot smoking if they don't also smoke cigarettes.

I said in my first comment about this that Foresters would have more problem with the drug use history than the pot.

And no I have not called an underwriter about someone else's case. Nor will I.

Just to clarify, you said this to me, "Except don't most insurers still consider smoking weed as smoking?"

To which I replied, "Foresters does not".

I'm talking about the pot smoking. Foresters is non tobacco for pot smoking if they don't also smoke cigarettes.

I said in my first comment about this that Foresters would have more problem with the drug use history than the pot.

And no I have not called an underwriter about someone else's case. Nor will I.

Just to clarify, you said this to me, "Except don't most insurers still consider smoking weed as smoking?"

To which I replied, "Foresters does not".

I guess I was looking at the big picture, which "is the guy insurable?"

I don't think so.

My suggestion would be to submit a trial app to the carriers who are more "friendly" towards questionable underwriting or submit an app to Lloyds of London via Petersen International and get a one year Failure To Survive Certificate. I use Petersen when I have someone who is far too short for their weight. Once the weight comes down, I'll take them through normal underwriting and typically get table rated for the first year or two until the weight stabilizes.

Except don't most insurers still consider smoking weed as smoking?

I think with such a short time since the heroin situation, it will be difficult to obtain anything but expensive coverage. No deals to be had for this person. Lucky to get anything.

>>Except don't most insurers still consider smoking weed as smoking?

Just got a 45 yr old occasional MJ user NT P+ ROPTerm 30 yr $1,000,000 fully underwritten. Frequency and labs are key.

Pru would be another.

Not speaking to this thread just the one sentence.

>>Except don't most insurers still consider smoking weed as smoking?

Just got a 45 yr old occasional MJ user NT P+ ROPTerm 30 yr $1,000,000 fully underwritten. Frequency and labs are key.

Pru would be another.

Not speaking to this thread just the one sentence.

But did he have a hospitalization for heroin 6 years prior. And a stint in rehab as a teen for cocaine? :)

I think with just about any one of these things if that was the only thing, yea maybe. Roll them all together in a applicant and I just don't think so.

He's had a drug addiction problem for more than half of his life. Still uses drugs so really hasn't kicked his addiction, just using a milder form of drug.

I understand people are responding to one aspect of the situation, but isn't it the entire situation that's going to be underwritten?

But did he have a hospitalization for heroin 6 years prior. And a stint in rehab as a teen for cocaine? :)

I think with just about any one of these things if that was the only thing, yea maybe. Roll them all together in a applicant and I just don't think so.

He's had a drug addiction problem for more than half of his life. Still uses drugs so really hasn't kicked his addiction, just using a milder form of drug.

I understand people are responding to one aspect of the situation, but isn't it the entire situation that's going to be underwritten?

yes we've already addressed the drug thing ... though..

JD was responding to the point you made about Insurers considering weed as smoking .. his point as that Foresters and a few others do not.

It's the drug history, and that is the unknown aspect of how the underwriter will underwrite. Underwriting guidelines are just that...a guideline...not an absolute.

I understand what you are saying. and I agree with you. I was responding to the one sentence.

I understand what you are saying. and I agree with you. I was responding to the one sentence.

No Worries,

I got ya.

The thing is the OP may be reading these posts and thinking that one thing could be overlooked, so all might be overlooked...

Unfortunately for her significant other, the laundry list is too big.

Back