Young P&C Agent Looking for Most Appropriate Permanent Life Policy

Continuing to research and I'm seeing conflicting info on UL policies.

Note that while I said prefer the conservatism, I do also accept that I'm young and the GFC put us through a major deleveraging that I'll likely never see again in my lifetime. My point being, I'm not against an indexed policy that takes on more risk in exchange for a lower guaranteed rate.

But my biggest concern is not having level premiums and/or the internal charge on the amount at risk increasing. If my minimum premium increases, that's no-go for me. Similarly, if the actual cash contribution reduces over time because - for lack of a better term - the "rates" are increasing on the insurance portion of my premium paid, that's a no-go as well.

If I'm misunderstanding this and an IUL policy doesn't actually operate like this, please correct me

The term your looking for is cost of insurance and yes, it does go up over time. If you have it designed correctly it should accomplish what you're looking for, but there is no way around the fact that every year your closer to your death so the cost to insure that goes up.

The term your looking for is cost of insurance and yes, it does go up over time. If you have it designed correctly it should accomplish what you're looking for, but there is no way around the fact that every year your closer to your death so the cost to insure that goes up.

Okay, so with UL the rates are effectively "renewed" every year (or whatever term) and thus do change? This is opposed to WL where the premium is level, so the progressively-closer-to-death rating is already accounted for and then simply evenly split.

Okay, so with UL the rates are effectively "renewed" every year (or whatever term) and thus do change? This is opposed to WL where the premium is level, so the progressively-closer-to-death rating is already accounted for and then simply evenly split.

Have you looked at a UL illustration?

Back