Life Partners Sued by SEC for Fraud in Life Settlement Deals

STIBROKER

Like My post and enter the DRAWING,,,,
Texas
Life Partners Sued by SEC for Fraud in Life Settlement Deals - Businessweek

Jan. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Life Partners Holdings Inc. and three top executives are facing U.S. regulatory claims that they defrauded shareholders by systematically understating risk related to the firm’s purchases of life insurance policies.
Shares of Waco, Texas-based Life Partners opened at $4.07, 36 percent below yesterday’s close, after the Securities and Exchange Commission said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Brian D. Pardo, President and General Counsel R. Scott Peden and Chief Financial Officer David M. Martin participated in a scheme that misled investors about the firm’s profit potential.
“The senior-most executives at Life Partners concealed significant risks to the business, manipulated financial statements with improper accounting, and knowingly profited from their misconduct by executing insider trades based on information that was not available to the public,” David Woodcock, director of the SEC’s Fort Worth Regional Office, said in a statement yesterday.
The company, which buys rights to death benefits from policyholders in exchange for lump-sum payments, knowingly underestimated life expectancies used in transactions from 2007 to 2011, the SEC said in its statement. Pardo sold $11.5 million of stock and Peden sold shares valued at $300,000 while privy to inside information, the agency said.

Pardo and Peden also were charged with insider trading.

As a note - these charges are focused on fractional life settlement investments and not life settlements themselves.

I've had a couple of opportunities to bring up Life Settlements, but I've heard negative things and swerved away. Among other things, I've heard about lawsuits and shady providers.

What's the latest on these things in general?

In defense of Life Partners they have won every time the sec has messed with them. The state of Texas also tried to seize the company and lost. I have the whole list of all the polices that matured last year and most paid around 20%

Back