Stars Aligning for Life Settlements Market?

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Posted a new article (link below) about how prospects are currently trending up for life settlements market – and forces are in place that could keep it that way for a while. One of the people quoted in the article said most advisors may only run across an opportunity for a life settlement once every two or three years – which seemed a bit surprising. But he also pointed out he thinks most advisors never even bring it up as an option to senior clients because they don’t have a comfort level with the settlements market.

Do you ever bring it up as a possible solution, or do you think most life insurance agents would do whatever they can to keep the policy in force? And do you believe the settlements market will expand significantly in coming years, or stay about where it is now?

Insurance Forums | Stats, demographics suggest life settlements industry well positioned for long-term growth

While money is available to buy policies, there are very few policies out there that will qualify for a life settlement.

Maybe there will be modest growth, but the reality is that once the premium finance, STOLI, etc. was cleared out, this is a $2 billion dollar industry on its best day....which I believe is similar to 2001 before all the games started.

The agent may try to keep the policy inforce, but the conversation is usually started by the consumer when they can no longer afford the premiums.

While money is available to buy policies, there are very few policies out there that will qualify for a life settlement.

Maybe there will be modest growth, but the reality is that once the premium finance, STOLI, etc. was cleared out, this is a $2 billion dollar industry on its best day....which I believe is similar to 2001 before all the games started.

The agent may try to keep the policy inforce, but the conversation is usually started by the consumer when they can no longer afford the premiums.

This is 100% not true. In 2015 the market deployed well over 2 billion! Where do you get your information?

This is 100% not true. In 2015 the market deployed well over 2 billion! Where do you get your information?

It's not true....when you back out tertiary transactions, it's less than $2 billion.

I used to manage the eastern half of the U.S. for one of the largest providers in the business, and still stay active with contacts, etc.

I wish the market was bigger, but it's not.

Back