Genworth - Service Days Vs Calendar Days

oozo

I understand the elim period in general.

What I do not understand is how calendar days works vs service days. What happens 20 years from now, say if I live somewhere where home health service is not easily found? How will I count my elim days if I cannot even get service? What happens if there is a shortage of home health employees and I must be on a wait list for service? How will Genworth look at this regarding my elim days? I could die at home waiting for service just :err:to start my elim period!

Also, policy overview states that elim days need not be consecutive....well, calendar days are consecutive...so, how do calendar days work when the policy also provides first day home care?

Confused...

Thank you.

OOZO

Previously posted by oozo

Here's the difference between calendar & service days:

A service day is a day when paid services are provided.
If you had someone in your home and paid for services for 3 days in a given week, you would have satisfied 3 days of your elimination period.

With a calendar day elimination period, one day of your elimination period is satisfied for every day that you qualify for care, whether services are provided or not.

So, if you qualified for care with a calender day elimination period and only paid for 3 days of care in a week, 7 days will be knocked off your elimination period.

In my 17 years in the business I have never had a situation where someone was unable to find home care services. Not sure where you intend on living in 20 years, but short of living in a jungle, services will be available to you.

Hope that helps.................

Last edited:
Thank you, Mr. Rudnick.

I mean not to sound negative, but.....we could be living in either the wild west (no gun control) or an armageddon in far less than 20 years....

In 2 years, we could have a nuclear war (Iran), we may be hitting a fiscal cliff at this y/e, and we are running out of some natural resource commodities (earth metals) very quickly - Water may be 100% purchased (not free) in the next few decades, and there is a growing negative ratio between the number of young people in the "care-ing" business and the number of baby boomers requiring care.

Yes, I could be living in a jungle, as you say.

Thank you again.

OOZO

I mean not to sound negative, but.....we could be living in either the wild west (no gun control) or an armageddon in far less than 20 years....

In 2 years, we could have a nuclear war (Iran), we may be hitting a fiscal cliff at this y/e, and we are running out of some natural resource commodities (earth metals) very quickly - Water may be 100% purchased (not free) in the next few decades, and there is a growing negative ratio between the number of young people in the "care-ing" business and the number of baby boomers requiring care.

Yes, I could be living in a jungle, as you say.

Thank you again.

OOZO

Why get LTC protection if you feel this way?

I've heard certified caregivers are like cockroaches and twinkies. They will make it through a nuclear war.

Get an Apocalypse Policy. It pays a lump sum in an end of days scenario. The rates are relatively inexpensive but make sure that you go with a highly rated carrier.

In all seriousness, while I may agree with some of the concerns that you've voiced Oozo, you can control being insured if/when you need long term care but you cannot control many of the issues that you mentioned. If some/all of those issues don't come to pass, be thankful that you have coverage. If they do, I hope that you and Mr. Rudnick save me a spot in your tree house.

I hope that you and Mr. Rudnick save me a spot in your tree house.

Plenty of room for eveyone............

bluemoon-treehouse-lg.jpg

Ok, so tell me this...Genworth allows for service days NOT to be consecutive...but they accumulate towards elim period, and once elim is satisfied, one never has to satisfy it again. This is my understanding, anyways. Are calendar days considered to NOT have to be consecutive, too? If so, how are they measured in terms of when to stop counting them? Can they also be "accumulated" and treated like service days in that once they are accumulated, never have to be done again?

Thank you.

OOZO
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also, what is a "day" considered for home care? 8 hours? 24 hours? and how does Genworth dibby up home care days that are less than 24 hours of service in a day?

Thank you...please also see earlier post 1 up.

OOZO

Last edited:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also, what is a "day" considered for home care? 8 hours? 24 hours? and how does Genworth dibby up home care days that are less than 24 hours of service in a day?

Thank you...please also see earlier post 1 up.

OOZO[/QUOTE]

A day is 24 hours. However, since you are selecting a daily amount per day, how much you are being charged for your home care will determine how long a homemaker/nurse will cost you per day. So if you have a charge for your homemaker of $10/hr and she stays 12 hours, then your bill for her will be $120 for the day. If your policy calls for $200 for the day. You can pay that with no problem. If you want someone around the clock. Then that would cost you $240 per day and you would need to come up with $40 dollars each day out of pocket since you would have exceeded your $200 for the day. I would assume that many people would have someone at their home somewhere between 8-10 hours per day and then family could watch them as needed when they returned from work. Of course this would all depend on how much care you would need at home. If your spouse is having their own issues or are 80 like you, then you may need someone to help you longer. It all depends.

Back