John Hancock Increases Long Term Care Rates by 90%

tlmarketing

Guru
100+ Post Club
If you are the unfortunate owner of a John Hancock Long Term Care Insurance Policy in Pennsylvania, you may have just received a letter increasing your long term care premiums.

Effective in May 2012, your premiums may increase by 90%....But don't worry, it's ok.....

According to Jim O'Brien, VP LTC Operations and IT at John Hancock, the PA Department of insurance approved the 90% increase....that should be comforting to seniors...

Are there any class action lawyers on this forum???

:mad:Even tho this does not surprise me, or effect me, IT ANGERS THE STUFFIN' OUT OF ME. Last Co. that I wrote biz for I was captive. LTC was their lead marketing product. They provided leads, so guess what I sold.

I did not beleive at the rates that we were charging then
that the biz was sustainable. One rainy aft. sat in a house while man and wife argued loudly over it. Sat there to watch, ultimately wrote one, one refused. Once I left with the one app, inside the house got noisy before I reached my car, no surprise, either.

One day asked my Dist Mgr how long it took to get off advances. He did'nt have a clue, he'd been there 5 years, and still on it he said. That sugg ested the drop rate was also high.

Today, I see that co.'s logo on website, I move on immediately!:yes: Irregardless of any other co,s offered! It does make a statement, ladies and gentlemen.

Can you give an example of what the old and new rates are/will be for say a 55 year old for a $250 a day benefit, for 3 and 5 years with a 60 day elimination period?

20%-90% increase..... OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

The higher increases are for the compound inflation riders.

Links (Al, the articles give rate examples)

How is a 90% long-term care rate hike OK? - Chicago Sun-Times

Long-term-care insurance may go way of the dinosaur - InvestmentNews

Minnesota seniors facing a spike in long-term care cost | StarTribune.com

Genworth is asking for an 18% increase in most states...

2012 premiums are up an average of 10% over 2011.

LTCI is not looking good these days.

Dropouts are:
Met
Pru
Allianz
Unum
Guardian
CNA
who am I leaving out??
who will be next????

Last edited:
Al, if you're asking me, I sold LTC in 97, I beleive. Pitfching retired folks mostly ages 67 to 75 or so. So, few details can I remember. I remember that we rated up, of course, for certain pre-existing conditions. Most folks that purchased seldon ws willing to go over 1200-1500 premium. But I did write a very few 2200 and over. Personnally I ner saw a lead of someone 55, but the DM worked a nes lead drop first, I got the left-overs. Surprise, surprise ----- I never did understand that. When I trained at anything sold direct I let the newbies have some easy ones, I took the tough ones, cuz I anted the new guy to make it.

I truly do not have a clue what LTC premiums are today. Scary tho to even think about it.

Where is Scott to tell us we are full of it and that everything is just fine in LTC land?

Supplement comment to my previous post.

It had only been about 1-2 years since my father-in-law had passed while living in a nursing center, so I was familiar with nursing home cost and he lived their for 17 months.

The average premiem I sold was apporx equal to one months charges at the home. H e was there 17 months, and I was selling and getting accepted cases tht were within just a short time from expecting to enter a home.

Hence my assumption that it was unsustainable.

Basically they are saying that they missed their actuarial assumptions by close (enough) to 100%...

Watch Genworth rise 20% year over year for the next 5 years!

20%-90% increase..... OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

The higher increases are for the compound inflation riders.

Links (Al, the articles give rate examples)

How is a 90% long-term care rate hike OK? - Chicago Sun-Times

Long-term-care insurance may go way of the dinosaur - InvestmentNews

Minnesota seniors facing a spike in long-term care cost | StarTribune.com

Genworth is asking for an 18% increase in most states...

2012 premiums are up an average of 10% over 2011.

LTCI is not looking good these days.

Dropouts are:
Met
Pru
Allianz
Unum
Guardian
CNA
who am I leaving out??
who will be next????

Thanks for the links....It is unbelievable that state insurance departments would allow 90% increases in 1 year.

Last edited:
Back