John Hancock Long Term Care is a Scam!

I understand your frustration, but by your own account she did not qualify in November. You can't blame Hancock when you state that she only needed help with 1 of 6 ADLs.

You have just refiled last week. There has been no decision reached yet. I fail to see where Hancock has done anything wrong. In fact, they seem to be of help to you in requesting that a claim be filed, even though everyone knew that it would denied, but it was done in order to establish a timeframe.

On advice of others, not JH to file claim in November..frustration is not with November outcome...

If, as you claim that 2 or 3 ADLs are now the issue, it's more than likely she will now qualify for benefits.

You state that your frustration is due to mistakes made by Hancock. Yet your original post claimed that Hancock was trying to screw you by denying a legitimate claim, which does not appear to be case. And, it's a far cry from your posted title of "John Hancock Long Term Care is a Scam!"

Where did I say "screwed" in my original posts...maybe you should reread.

The frustration is that at the time of original claim, and denial we spoke with JH at length and followup process....and we were told that the 2nd time through would be much simpler and easier process.....and that is not the case. from calling to start claim again, to the intake process twice this time due to JH employee errors, to answers given to us by JH employees that upon further inquiries are incorrect. Now we are chasing additional paperwork that they already have and said we didnt need.....so the scam to me is that when people buy these policies, the insurance companies make it seem like they will be there to help you when needed, and in my recent experience i dont believe that to be the case...would the better title have been "John Hancock denies LTC to terminally ill client" that would also be accurate.

I'm not an attorney, but I don't believe you're going to find a lawyer on the planet that will sue a company for a "mistake".

who said anything about suiing?

Again I see where you're coming from and I understand your frustratioin but personally, I don't see an issue here, and I certainly don't see Hancock "stonewalling" your relative's claim.

Just my opinion.............

well...you know what they say about opinions...

Last edited:
I understand the 6 Activities of Daily Living and the need to qualify for 2 of 6....and also understand that terminal illness in itself is not a qualifying event.

If you understand this, then what was the "scam" ?

From the intake people at hancock to the independent contractors used to evaluate the insured, to having received incorrect information on multiple occasions from John Hancock employees, you can say what you like, but the ACTUAL experience we have had with John Hancock is terrible.

What was the incorrect information from the employees?

It seems like this is the "deny until they die" claims process.

They deny until you can't perform 2 out of 6 ADL's or a cognitive impairment. You said she can't perform 1 out of 6 right now. Not understanding the issue here. Sounds to me the plan is about to be a very valuable plan. I understand this must be a very stressful time. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in an earlier post your content and style is a concern to me. The term "scam" is used to identify a fraudulent business scheme or a swindle. To begin with you are accusing an insurance company of doing something without any concrete evidence being presented to support your claim. In fact, by all accounts it appears that JH is following through in what appears to be an acceptable way.

Your yet to be proven accusations of a "scam" and less than professional tone is a disgrace. And no, I am not a carrier person.

Makes me recall the son of a Genworth LTC policy holder who had nothing but bad things to say about Genworth and LTC in general. He was so upset that the insurance company would not do anything for them....as "he had to do all the grocery shopping, since they took her car away...... and he had to pay all the bills, and do all the work around her house....and he was over there all the time to help". Of course she was perfectly able to handle all her ADL's and was cognitively fine, but the insurance company was "bad" because she was not eligible for any benefit and she paid all this money. Obviously, he just didn't like being inconvenienced.

It did not matter what you said to this person......as he would NEVER buy LTC insurance, because it was a "complete waste of money".

Can't help everyone.

Makes me recall the son of a Genworth LTC policy holder who had nothing but bad things to say about Genworth and LTC in general. He was so upset that the insurance company would not do anything for them....as "he had to do all the grocery shopping, since they took her car away...... and he had to pay all the bills, and do all the work around her house....and he was over there all the time to help". Of course she was perfectly able to handle all her ADL's and was cognitively fine, but the insurance company was "bad" because she was not eligible for any benefit and she paid all this money. Obviously, he just didn't like being inconvenienced.

It did not matter what you said to this person......as he would NEVER buy LTC insurance, because it was a "complete waste of money".

Can't help everyone.

kinda like being upset about a medical insurance policy that doesn't pay for cosmetic breast augmentation.... not that I would ever need that kinda thing. ;)

nadm

tlmarketing,
Is there any insurance product in the world that just cuts a check to a policyholder 5 minutes after an initial phone call?

How about an auto claim? Isn't there a process that has to be gone through? An appraiser, a trip to a body shop, sometimes a week or so without your car?

How about homeowner's insurance? Does a check go out the door after the policyholder calls the company and said their house had a fire?

I don't know what product you sell. If it's life insurance, that's probably the only product where a carrier pays at once. Show the death certificate, here's your money.

Understand that a LTC insurance company has a lot at risk on the line for a LTC event and you can bet that they will do their due diligence in order to determine that the policyholder is
benefit eligible.

Face-to-Face interviews, reviewing medical records, and seeing if the policyholder qualifies for care under the terms of the contract are just a few of the procedures they will go through.

I will admit, of all the claims and customer service departments from various carriers that I have dealt with over the years, Hancock is far from being the #1 on my list. However, I have never found any company to strut around with the attitude of: "Deny until they die". I have also have never had anyone refer to LTCi as a "Scam".

So, to start, you're off base in your accusations.

Your relative did not qualify for care in November. You admit she was not benefit eligible.
You refiled last week. I think you will agree that a LTC claims process takes more than 7 days.
So far, I fail to see the "scam" or "deny til you die" that you're referring to.

"who said anything about suiing?"

It was John & Bob (and myself) who advised you that if there was really an unjust denial of a claim then you should get an attorney.

Here's the bottom line:
1) A mistake by an insurance company is not a scam
2) Poorly trained customer service reps, although frustrating to deal with, are not part of a scam
3) Denial of a claim because someone needs help with 1 of 6 ADLs is not a scam

And, just a personal word of advice..............
As Leevena correctly stated, this forum is viewed by thousands of people each day and I can pretty much guarantee you that many viewers are employees of insurance companies. Starting a thread with "John Hancock Long Term Care Insurance is a Scam" is not something that I would want my name associated with. It's against the law to publicly disparage an insurance company.

Hopefully, in the next few weeks your relative will receive notice that her claim was approved. But, you should step back for a moment and re-read this entire thread from all the posters and I think you'll come to the conclusion that you've over-reacted.

Maybe not..........

Last edited:
Back