Just Received a Rare Not Taken

While it might feel good to say, I would word things differently.

I'd be curious how others have this discussion and deal with when a client has a trusted advisor that may be involved.

Can be a very tough situation to overcome.

They may say, they don't know as they don't know what the options will be yet. Then what do you say?

Many agents spin their wheels only to lose business to "trusted advisors", etc., who then implement the plan.

I agree, however, you can't pre-underwrite an unknown. That is the reason for most declines, IMO.

For myself, a majority of requests I receive is because a trusted adviser has shown the prospect a quote. Usually Lincoln Moneyguard these days :1baffled:

My first question I always ask is "How do I fit in here?"

This is a non-combative way to determine if you have an opportunity to work with someone.

With this question, you allow the prospect an opportunity to tell you their adviser might not be experienced in LTC; or the relationship might not be strong, or very possibly that you do not have a snowball's chance in Hades.

Today, I had a nice woman state to me upfront that she did not want to take up a lot of my time because she has a Wells Fargo adviser. She mentioned that she might retire to Chile. She was aware of Medamerica's cash benefit. Her adviser showed her Moneyguard and was "looking into" Pacific Life for her.

So, what did this tell me? He does not know what he is doing.

I explained to her that if she is going to be in Chile she needs to buy the Medamerica policy. If she is concerned about rate increases she needs to do the 10 Pay.

I told her to pick up the phone and ask her Wells Fargo adviser to write her the Medamerica Cash policy.

I told her if she had any questions that the adviser could not answer she could call me.

And if her adviser can't or won't write the Medamerica policy for her, only then will I write it for her.

Last edited:
For myself, a majority of requests I receive is because a trusted adviser has shown the prospect a quote. Usually Lincoln Moneyguard these days :1baffled:
If your first question does not get them to open up, do you expand and/or find out why they are coming to you?

If your first question does not get them to open up, do you expand and/or find out why they are coming to you?

Yes, but I also have to acknowledge that my website offers free quotes, so I set myself up for my website visitors that only view me as the public library. People still view the internet as a free source of information. So, I try to provide what I offer and hope for the best.

Back