Juvenile Diabetes

Small Town ND

Expert
I have a customer, who is looking for some Long-Term Care options. BUT he has had Type 1 Diabetes since the age of 6, aka Juvenile Diabetes.

Does he have any options or is he simply SOL?

That's a tough one. Most companies will not consider any diabetic on insulin and to also have been diagnosed as a juvenile only complicates the matter.
A few of questions:
1) What's the ht/wt & age?
2) Any complications?
3) Any restrictions?
4) Anything else going on medically?
5) How many units a day of insulin?

He is 5'10" and 195
54 years old
He is in great health other wise.
He takes Insulin, I do not know how much per day, but he mentioned on how it is monitered closely by his doctor.

I hope that helps some and that is all I know at the moment.

Bob,
That's been the case with Genworth (and other carriers) for years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"He is 5'10" and 195
54 years old"

It seems you only answered 2 of my 5 questions. If I go to an underwriter, he/she will want the answers to the other 3.

What other meds is he taking other than insulin?

"He's in great health", will not do it.

Last edited:
He is 5'10" and 195
54 years old
He is in great health other wise.
He takes Insulin, I do not know how much per day, but he mentioned on how it is monitered closely by his doctor.

I hope that helps some and that is all I know at the moment.

The #1 thing you need to ask is the amount of insulin he uses.

If he uses an "insulin pump" (and many type 1 diabetics do use an insulin pump), you need to ask him:

1) What is the MOST amount of insulin he has needed on any given day in the past 12 months?

2) What is the amount of insulin he usually needs on any given day?

sao

If more than 50 units of insulin a day, you can forget about it.

Last edited:
With someone diagnosed as a Insulin Dependent, Juvenile Diabetic, there are much more important questions than how many units of insulin is he on and is he using a pump or not?

The most critical issue is "Are there any complications with his diabetes? This is a guy who has been a diabetic for almost 50 years.

What's his A1C reading? What are his fasting blood-sugar levels? What other health issues is he dealing with?

Personally, I'd be surprised if anyone would consider this guy. In NY, with 12 LTC carriers, not one will touch him.

There may be a carrier out there somewhere that may consider, but the days of Conseco & Penn Treaty are over.

Every carrier is tightening up on their underwriting. Just a couple of weeks ago, Genworth decided to no longer consider anyone who has a diagnosis of bi-polar disorder. In the past Genworth was the most liberal carrier out there for those with any type of mental health issues.

Small Town (the original poster) doesn't understand the concept of underwriting. I asked him if there were any other medical issues that his client was dealing with other than diabetes and his answer was "He says he's in great health". That is NOT the way to qualify a prospect.

You can't pre-qualify with an underwriter unless you know the entire health history.

With someone diagnosed as a Insulin Dependent, Juvenile Diabetic, there are much more important questions than how many units of insulin is he on and is he using a pump or not?

The most critical issue is "Are there any complications with his diabetes? This is a guy who has been a diabetic for almost 50 years.

What's his A1C reading? What are his fasting blood-sugar levels? What other health issues is he dealing with?

Personally, I'd be surprised if anyone would consider this guy. In NY, with 12 LTC carriers, not one will touch him.

There may be a carrier out there somewhere that may consider, but the days of Conseco & Penn Treaty are over.

Every carrier is tightening up on their underwriting. Just a couple of weeks ago, Genworth decided to no longer consider anyone who has a diagnosis of bi-polar disorder. In the past Genworth was the most liberal carrier out there for those with any type of mental health issues.

Small Town (the original poster) doesn't understand the concept of underwriting. I asked him if there were any other medical issues that his client was dealing with other than diabetes and his answer was "He says he's in great health". That is NOT the way to qualify a prospect.

You can't pre-qualify with an underwriter unless you know the entire health history.

I understand, Arthur, that it's important to know if there are co-morbid conditions, such as some types of heart disease.

The reason the amount of insulin is the most important question is because the amount of insulin is black and white. It's either above the maximum amount allowed or it's not.

If it's above the amount allowed, then there's no point in having any other discussion.

If it's within the amount allowed, then there is a reason to further investigation.

I think it would be easier for an agent who is not experienced with LTCi underwriting to ask "how much insulin do you use everyday" rather than ask, "what's your a1c" or "do you have any stenosis in your coronary or carotid artieries" or "do you have any signs of neuropathy?", etc....

Ask the question that requires the simplest answer first.

Seems to me, a DM questionire would make the most sense. One page, all the info. Will be on hand for the Life policy also.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Most diabetes know their A1c and daily readings. Also what other meds the take.

I understand, Arthur, that it's important to know if there are co-morbid conditions, such as some types of heart disease.

The reason the amount of insulin is the most important question is because the amount of insulin is black and white. It's either above the maximum amount allowed or it's not.

If it's above the amount allowed, then there's no point in having any other discussion.

If it's within the amount allowed, then there is a reason to further investigation.

I think it would be easier for an agent who is not experienced with LTCi underwriting to ask "how much insulin do you use everyday" rather than ask, "what's your a1c" or "do you have any stenosis in your coronary or carotid artieries" or "do you have any signs of neuropathy?", etc....

Ask the question that requires the simplest answer first.

Last edited:
Back