LTC Direct Mail Piece

My BGA just dropped 5000 pieces of a custom direct mail piece on my behalf as a test using the Georgia LTC Partnership as a lead-in. I have not done direct mail since 2005.

Anyone doing local direct mail?

Arthur, you are doing direct mail, correct?

What works today?

Do you recommend first sending them out their free information they requested on the State Partnership, and then follow up with a phone call.

Or just call right away, have a conversation and attempt to set an appointment?

It has been 9 years since I did mailers but since I am not paying for it, I figured I have nothing to lose-----what works today?

Last edited:
Jack,
My mail piece focuses on the NYS Partnership, which of course is different from other states' Partnership programs.

I offer to send the responders information but I call first to qualify them medically and tell them who I am. Once I confirm the contact, I then send information.

I followup 2 weeks later asking for an appointment.

Keep in mind that these people are mostly just starting to look into LTCI and most have no clue what it's about. They sent in the card to receive information. At this point, the last thing they want is contact with an agent looking to sell them anything.

Most won't return your call the first time and many will not return your call once they've received your information.

With a 5,000 piece mail drop, you should receive about .05%-1.0% (25-50 responses). Sometimes with 25 responses, there's not 1 sale in the mix. Other times you'll get 3-5 sales. As you know, it's a numbers game.

I bought into the mailing for the CA partnership. It's a turn key program with the state seal on the outside.

Terrible return and the people who were interested were either 1) broke or 2) unhealthy or 3) both.

Complete waste of money.

Rick

previously posted by GreenSky

I bought into the mailing for the CA partnership. It's a turn key program with the state seal on the outside.

Terrible return and the people who were interested were either 1) broke or 2) unhealthy or 3) both.

Complete waste of money.

Rick,
It's important to set your filters.
I use ages 40-65 with a household income of $75,000+.
Unfortunately, health is unknown.

One-shot deals are not a true test on direct mail. It should be a steady, monthly program, according to your budget.

Jack,
My mail piece focuses on the NYS Partnership, which of course is different from other states' Partnership programs.

I offer to send the responders information but I call first to qualify them medically and tell them who I am. Once I confirm the contact, I then send information.

I followup 2 weeks later asking for an appointment.

Keep in mind that these people are mostly just starting to look into LTCI and most have no clue what it's about. They sent in the card to receive information. At this point, the last thing they want is contact with an agent looking to sell them anything.

Most won't return your call the first time and many will not return your call once they've received your information.

With a 5,000 piece mail drop, you should receive about .05%-1.0% (25-50 responses). Sometimes with 25 responses, there's not 1 sale in the mix. Other times you'll get 3-5 sales. As you know, it's a numbers game.

Thanks Arthur. I am seeing that 50% of the leads are responding directly through my website and/or my phone number that is advertised within the letter. 50% are sending the reply card back to me.

I chose to mail a comprehensive packet of information to a few of the leads last week. We will see how it goes. I personally do not place much value in State Partnership benefits, at least not for my clientele usually, so I am not a fan of using Partnership benefits as a lead-in, but oh well....the mail has been dropped.

I did use filters of $75,000 and ages 50-69; and I mailed to my hometown zip code only. It is a good area demographically.

Last edited:
previously posted by ltcadviser

I personally do not place much value in State Partnership benefits, at least not for my clientele usually, so I am not a fan of using Partnership benefits as a lead-in, but oh well....the mail has been dropped.

Regardless of your thoughts on the Partnership, the words "New York State Partnership"(And The Georgia State Partnership) is more of a "Hook" to increase your response rate.

Those that may be interested in LTCi most likely never heard about a Partnership Program. Advertising a State Program legitimatizes your mailing.

previously posted by ltcadviser

Regardless of your thoughts on the Partnership, the words "New York State Partnership"(And The Georgia State Partnership) is more of a "Hook" to increase your response rate.

Those that may be interested in LTCi most likely never heard about a Partnership Program. Advertising a State Program legitimatizes your mailing.

I agree Arthur. Hence the reason we did it this way.

I have not worked direct mail in a long time, as the ROI was too low.

But, why not just approach these leads the same as an internet lead ?

previously posted by CALTCAgent

I have not worked direct mail in a long time, as the ROI was too low.
But, why not just approach these leads the same as an internet lead ?

You can but there's a major advantage to DM over internet leads:
A DM lead is exclusive. An internet lead is either shared with other agents or if advertised as exclusive, the inquirer most likely visited multiple websites looking for quotes.

I've used exclusive internet leads with real-time email notification. Many times I call within 15 seconds and I'm told that I was the 5th agent to call.

Back