LTC Memory Test Primer

Does anyone know of or have some sort of document that would describe in detail, possibly with examples,of the actual standardized cognitive tests that are administered either over the phone or in person when applying for LTC? My googling did not come up with anything.

We all know they give you maybe 10 words to remember....and maybe some word asociation tests. Simple math tends to be part of it too.

I was wondering how others helped a client prepare for the phone call or the face to face if older.....other than "good luck and don't blow the test if you want insurance"

Some people tend to stress out when they know they will be tested.

Thanks.

I bet Genworth is just dying to give out a pamphlet on how to pass the test too

It seems to me that if they can study for the test and pass they probably don't have dementia.

Glad we are all having fun with this. I never asked for the cheat sheet answers, just the course outline. :D else, I have had more than enough clients tell me exactly how the interview went to maybe write my own document. It is likely that, even though the phone interview instructions were "please do not write this down", that some of them kept good notes.

I take the time to review the "next steps" with my client....just like on a MAPD plan visit you need to tell them that they will get a call from CMS to confirm they know what they bought, or they may get dis-enrolled.

I was mainly curious as to what some of the other LTC guys may tell their client in preparation for the cognitive interview when you know it is coming. Like Bob said, if they are smart enough to study for it, I am not concerned about them passing it. The test questions change all the time....so you can not tell them what's coming. I just want them to be as relaxed as possible...so if some asks them to "name as many fruits and vegetables as they can in the next 30 seconds".....they simply start answering and not wonder why they are being asked such as silly question.

I remember the case of the 79 year old dentist who applied for LTC. Seemed pretty sharp to me at the kitchen table....but he failed the face to face cognitive test when the nurse came out. Makes you wonder if he is really always drilling the tooth that the x-ray showed!! :skeptical:

As an FYI, if you blow the cognitive test, not even a note from your doctor is sufficient to salvage the case. Its a tough appeal.

It seems to me that if they can study for the test and pass they probably don't have dementia.

Depends. Is the test phone or in person? If its on the phone, I can easily see son or daughter helping mom to pass the test.

Hancock has a consumer brochure that outlines the underwriting process and United of Omaha has a little 2 page sheet. I think most carriers have something that describes what it is. I always advise people not to be nervous, they aren't asking you anything you don't know. Just be honest, answer the questions and be serious. This is not the time for a great sense of humor or to try out a comedy routine. These answers are recorded just what you say, not how to say it. For a face to face, if you have a good relationship with a paramed service, ask them. They are the ones doing it.

Hancock has a consumer brochure that outlines the underwriting process and United of Omaha has a little 2 page sheet. I think most carriers have something that describes what it is. I always advise people not to be nervous, they aren't asking you anything you don't know. Just be honest, answer the questions and be serious. This is not the time for a great sense of humor or to try out a comedy routine. These answers are recorded just what you say, not how to say it. For a face to face, if you have a good relationship with a paramed service, ask them. They are the ones doing it.

Q: Of the 10 words I gave you to use in a sentence earlier in our conversation, how many of those words can you recall for me right now?

A: You gave me 10 words before?

Do u remember your husband name..
Do u remember the first time you caugh your husband with another women...
Do u remember your ins agent name...

Back