Long Term Care Policy Denial- Please Advise

helenium

I am a very healthy 5'9" 132# non-smoking non-drinking female with no health problems except some arthritis in my left knee from an old sports injury. I work 10-hr shifts as a Nurse; sometimes get cortisone injections in that left knee so I can stay active with hiking, cycling, etc. I applied for a traditional policy with genworth and was denied because of the cortisone injections in my knee. I appealed and was denied again. My agent is saying that probably means a blanket declination from all carriers for a traditional policy, wants to sell me a whole life policy with an LTC rider (about half the coverage for double the price). Can someone please advise me if there's anything else I can do to get approved for a traditional policy? I am still working, very healthy.

What state are you in?

Did he have any other carriers to offer for just LTC?

I think you should have a chance elsewhere and don't necessarily have to turn to a life combo policy that costs a lot more.

Was there anything else health wise?

Hi LGilmore - thanks for your prompt reply. I forgot to mention in initial post that I am 59 years old. No other significant health problems, some minor depression for which I take an SSRI. I am in California.
No, the agent discouraged trying with any other carrier since "a denial with Genworth will likely mean denial by everyone for a traditional policy". He did also mention that in California they are not allowed to require applicants to answer the question "Have you been previously denied for an LTC policy?"...do you have any knowledge about that?

originally posted by helenium

I am a very healthy 5'9" 132# non-smoking non-drinking female with no health problems except some arthritis in my left knee from an old sports injury. I work 10-hr shifts as a Nurse; sometimes get cortisone injections in that left knee so I can stay active with hiking, cycling, etc. I applied for a traditional policy with genworth and was denied because of the cortisone injections in my knee. I appealed and was denied again. My agent is saying that probably means a blanket declination from all carriers for a traditional policy, wants to sell me a whole life policy with an LTC rider (about half the coverage for double the price). Can someone please advise me if there's anything else I can do to get approved for a traditional policy? I am still working, very healthy.

Most carriers will want a waiting period of 12 months after your last cortisone injection before they will consider insuring you. Arthritis of any weight bearing joints is a concern.

Did Genworth advise you when you may re-apply? Your agent should know that.

You need a LTCi broker to deal with who represents all companies in CA. Every company looks at medical conditions differently. Combination Life & LTC may not be the answer. They do medical underwriting on both the life & ltc side.

This thread is being moved to the Long Term Care Insurance Forum.

Most carriers will be looking for "bone on bone" as to level of severity of the arthritis in the knee. If they see words like bone on bone or "erosive"....you are likely toast for all LTC options.

If you can go for 6+ months with no injections....no need for more injections or PT., and no hint of pending surgery, you may be fine with some carriers. Getting your knee replaced and recovered from the surgery will also make you insurable.
Your medical records will ideally need to be updated to indicate that things have improved......

why you were allowed to apply with ongoing cortisone shots means someone did not do their homework first....or you neglected to mention it when you applied.

Unfortunately, I am not licensed in CA. You are getting some good advice here from other agents. You should have had something from Genworth explaining their rationale and appeal process or when they would reconsider. As someone mentioned time between shots.

I might look for another agent as one and done seems rushed.

One thing and forgive me, but I work with a lot of nurses, make sure you're only mentioning conditions that have diagnosed by a MD. I know far too many nurses who self diagnose conditions and that can hurt the application process. Now this may not apply to you specifically, but only disclose MD findings.

Hi LGilmore - thanks for your prompt reply. I forgot to mention in initial post that I am 59 years old. No other significant health problems, some minor depression for which I take an SSRI. I am in California.
No, the agent discouraged trying with any other carrier since "a denial with Genworth will likely mean denial by everyone for a traditional policy". He did also mention that in California they are not allowed to require applicants to answer the question "Have you been previously denied for an LTC policy?"...do you have any knowledge about that?

Sounds like the agent is taking the path of least resistance.
And truthfully with Genworth's gender based CA pricing, can't understand why he even applied you initially to Genworth to begin with. If you are insurable, you have much better options outside of Genworth available in California.
I will shop your applications around for you if you wish. You may contact me at (800) 891-5824. CA License 0H07738

I am a very healthy 5'9" 132# non-smoking non-drinking female with no health problems except some arthritis in my left knee from an old sports injury. I work 10-hr shifts as a Nurse; sometimes get cortisone injections in that left knee so I can stay active with hiking, cycling, etc.

How often do you get the cortisone ?

This will be important as to whether or not there are other options.

Thank you Arthur. No, my agent did not mention to me if or when I could re-apply with Genworth; I will ask him about this. Thanks for the tip.
I did start this thread in the LTC insurance forum....

Thank you Arthur. No, my agent did not mention to me if or when I could re-apply with Genworth; I will ask him about this. Thanks for the tip.
I did start this thread in the LTC insurance forum....

You should not want to reapply with Genworth if other underwriters will approve you as well should your health history allow you to apply in the future once a stability period has been satisfied. As a female applicant you will want to start with the highest rated companies (A++ AM Best) that offer gender neutral rates. Mass Mutual, NY Life, etc.

You probably will need to work with an agent that has access to these companies.

Back