Mutual of Omaha Rate Increase

Do you know if NY is on the list?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It seems that the increase applies only to their inflation rider and not the core benefits.

Not affecting NY....but the increase says it even applies to FPO....so it reads more like an across the board hike to me.

Alabama Kansas Montana Oklahoma
Arkansas Kentucky North Carolina South Dakota
Arizona Maine North Dakota Tennessee
Georgia Michigan Nebraska West Virginia
Iowa Mississippi New Hampshire Wisconsin
Illinois Missouri New Mexico

I guess it is too bad they don't have, like some others, the "none of the above" option.

Since I never sell a FPO/GPO, I never noticed that they didn't have a 'none' option for an inflation rider. The FPO doesn't cost them anything until the policyholder exercises the option. Why wouldn't they:
#1) offer 'none' as an option? and,
#2) why don't they just charge more down the road for an FPO increase rather than charge more up front for the "liberty" of increasing the benefit & premium down the road?

Maybe it's me, but I just don't get it..........

Good question....Genworth offers NONE and GPO, other do too. It costs money to "guarantee" insurability, so you pay for the privilage somewhere. Same thing applies to Disability policies when you want to have your disability benefit keep up with the raises you keep getting at work.

I had to sell a FPO this past Saturday to a 74 year old couple (of course here in Georgia where everything is cheap), because that was all they could afford and they wanted a supplemental policy to add to their other forms of retirement income.....and a $3000/year policy worked for them. An extra $2500/month will go a long way down here...and when you are 74, you can argue the logic about supplemental YES/NO all you want.

Then too..it is sure easy to get confused with the interchangeable use of GPO and FPO.....wish the carriers would adopt a standard on that.

Last edited:
You do realize that the bulletin you posted had a release date of 1/18/12.

Posting this in a public forum prior to the release date is punishable by a $50,000 fine and 32 years in jail.

Just thought you should know.

I completely missed that... did not see the release date. I'll bring it down.

Back