“New Insurance Regulation” Protects Consumers from LTC Insurance Rate Increases

Mr_Ed

Guru
1000 Post Club
NJ
“New Insurance Regulation” Protects Consumers from LTC Insurance Rate Increases

There are two different ways long-term care insurance premiums are regulated in the 50 states.

To help you understand the new regulation, it will help if I first briefly explain the old regulation.

The intent of the old regulation was to make sure that consumers did not overpay for long-term care insurance and to make sure that the insurance companies did not earn huge profits.

The intent was good, but the actual implementation of the regulations had some unintended consequences.

In most states, this regulation required the insurer to pay no less than 60 (or 65) cents in claims for every dollar that they collected in premiums. The remainder would cover the insurer’s costs (administration, taxes, customer service, distribution, etc…) and still allow room for some profit.

The regulators thought this was the best way to protect consumers and prevent the insurers from overcharging.

A problem arose, however, when some insurance companies realized that they had grossly underestimated their claims. For some companies, their claims turned out to be twice as high as they had projected. The old regulation allowed the insurers to double their premiums since the claims were twice as high as they had anticipated.

By taking advantage of this “loophole”, these increases not only doubled the premiums the policyholders were paying, but these higher premiums also dramatically increased the insurer’s profits! Essentially, the insurers were rewarded for doing a bad job to begin with.

This new regulation was crafted with the intent of keeping LTC insurance premiums stable and is therefore called the “Rate Stability Regulation”.

This new regulation requires insurers to do a better job of pricing their policies and to use more conservative projections.

This new regulation requires the insurers to price a “cushion” into their premiums so that even if their projections are not conservative enough, they still won’t have to increase premiums over the life of the policy. A qualified actuary must certify that there’s enough “cushion” in the pricing such that the policy won’t ever need a rate increase, even if their experience is “moderately” worse than expected.

If a premium increase is required, this new regulation removes the profit incentive from the premium increase. This new regulation requires that nearly every penny of any increase go towards actual claims payments. Since there is no money to be made on a premium increase, the insurers are motivated to price their policies right the first time.

If a premium increase is required, this new regulation requires a qualified actuary to certify that the policyholders will only get that one premium increase and no other increases will be necessary over the life of the policy.

If a premium increase is approved, the insurer must re-certify that increase, every year for at least 3 years. If the projections turn out to be wrong, the insurance commissioner can require the insurer to refund all (or part) of the premium increase to the policyholders.

:swoon::GEEK::swoon::GEEK::swoon::GEEK::swoon:

(I moved this from the other thread since it's a completely different topic and probably should be discussed on it's own.)

So, I mailed a completed GNW application last week to a client. Last night he emails me and says he wants to cancel the Genworth app and apply instead to Mass Mutual and pay 45% more due to GNW rate increases disclosed on personal worksheet and Genworth CEO stating he wants to raise rates in multiple smaller increments like med supps moving forward.

So, Scott I suppose your approach might me to allay his concerns and explain to him that he has nothing to worry about? (Washington resident,btw)?

Or just FedEx the Mass Mutual application?

So, I mailed a completed GNW application last week to a client. Last night he emails me and says he wants to cancel the Genworth app and apply instead to Mass Mutual and pay 45% more due to GNW rate increases disclosed on personal worksheet and Genworth CEO stating he wants to raise rates in multiple smaller increments like med supps moving forward.

So, Scott I suppose your approach might me to allay his concerns and explain to him that he has nothing to worry about? (Washington resident,btw)?

Or just FedEx the Mass Mutual application?

1) You should have explained the rate stability regulations to him before sending him the application.

2) Genworth has not had any premium increases on any of the LTCi policies issued in the state of Washington since 2003.

3) The Rate Stability Regulations became law in the state of Washington on Dec. 25th, 2008 and any policy issued on or after Jan 1st, 2009, in the state of Washington, is protected by the Rate Stability Regulations.

:yes::yes::yes:

1) The Rate Stability Regulations became law in the state of Washington on Dec. 25th, 2008 and any policy issued on or after Jan 1st, 2009, in the state of Washington, is protected by the Rate Stability Regulations.

Is there a place to find out which states and when the "Rate Stability Regulations" bacame law ?

PM direct if you prefer.

Is there a place to find out which states and when the "Rate Stability Regulations" bacame law ?

PM direct if you prefer.

The only place to find out which states have Rate Stability and what date is the "watershed" date, is to look on the insurance regs website for each state.

For some states it is easy to find.
Other states it's a real pain to find.

:yes:

----------

Since Jack asked about WA, here are two links to the Rate Stability Regulations in Washington state.

They were a b*tch to find. They don't make it easy. It took me almost an hour to find them.

WAC 284-83-040: Initial rate filing requirements.

and

WAC 284-83-090: Premium rate schedule increases.

mrsed

Last edited:
Thanks Scott. I am on vacation. Do you have any quick links to show Genworth hasn't raised rates in WA since 2003?

The state of California publishes a detailed guide of the rate increases for each company in each state (it even lists the policy series and when that policy series was first sold.)

The guides are NOT user-friendly.

It takes a lot of digging to find the information you need.

Long Term Care Insurance Rate History

... and for those who don't believe me (e.g. Arthur), nearly all of the premium increases are on policies that were issued BEFORE Rate Stability Regulations took effect in that particular state.

Happy Reading!

Last edited:
The state of California publishes a detailed guide of the rate increases for each company in each state (it even lists the policy series and when that policy series was first sold.)

The guides are NOT user-friendly.

It takes a lot of digging to find the information you need.

Long Term Care Insurance Rate History

... and for those who don't believe me (e.g. Arthur), nearly all of the premium increases are on policies that were issued BEFORE Rate Stability Regulations took effect in that particular state.

Happy Reading!

Yes, I already have this CA document. Just wanted to confirm we were looking at same thing.

So, this document confirms GNW raised rates in WA as recent as 2013 by 60%-95% on very old policies.

Yes, I already have this CA document. Just wanted to confirm we were looking at same thing.

So, this document confirms GNW raised rates in WA as recent as 2013 by 60%-95% on very old policies.

Those policies that got the 60% to 95% increase were issued under the old regulations. They were all sold before 2003. The Rate Stability Regulations in WA only protect Washington State policyholders who purchased LTC insurance on or after January 1st, 2009.

None of those policyholders who got the 60% to 95% increase are protected by the Rate Stability Regulations because those policies were issued before January 1st, 2009.

Make sense?

:cool::GEEK::cool::GEEK::cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back