Selling LTC Online: Whats Needed?

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have always been a face to face guy.

So, what is needed to sell online? (software, technology, techniques, etc.)

I have been hearing a screen share software is needed, where would you get that?

Most of the companies require a "wet" signature. So most companies are not set up for efficient online sales yet, or am I missing something?

If you would prefer to e-mail direct, that is fine too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
In the history of insurance, I doubt there has ever been ONE LTC policy sold by phone or webshare. YIKES. Let us know how many years this takes you. You may die trying, but good luck. Selling LTC is as fun as a three ring circus. Four ring circus selling it by phone.

In the history of insurance, I doubt there has ever been ONE LTC policy sold by phone or webshare. YIKES. Let us know how many years this takes you. You may die trying, but good luck. Selling LTC is as fun as a three ring circus. Four ring circus selling it by phone.

I know an agent in So Cal who is likely one of the top 5% of agents in the country selling 100% over the net and by phone.

Rick

I probably do more than half of my LTC business without ever meeting the client.....and that can be 80-100 policies in a good year. I sell in multiple states, but 95% local......and I am surprised that many of these policies are to people within 20 miles of my home who would simply prefer not to sit down with an agent to buy. When they are that close, I offer to deliver the policy when it comes out, but many times they just say "that's ok,. Mail me the policy and I'll mail you the check"....and they always do!!!

The occasional 70 year old client who "doesn't use computers" can be a challenge of course.

When I started selling LTC maybe 7-8 years ago, I would have said you could never sell it over the phone/internet......but once you know what you are doing.....use good web tools, and have a working script....and obviously don't sound like a jerk over the phone, it's not a real hard sell at all. Then again...you don't "sell" LTC, you educate people about the product and the potential need, and LTC sells itself. Webinar tools, Straticision, appropriate pdfs and ppts are all you need.

My intro line for a local client is always going to include the "we need to schedule a meeting to help you learn about your options.....would you like that to be a face to face meeting where I will come meet you at your home at a convenient time.....or do you prefer a remote webinar approach, available 7 days a week from 9-9 at your convenience.....no more than 45-60 minutes...... where I just light up your computer screen from here?" Nothing pushy in the approach.....sets them at ease that I am not trying to be an annoying, pushy agent(not that there really is such a thing). If they are 100 miles away, the face to face is not offered.......its more like "here is how we help our clients learn about the subject....you do own a computer, have a comfortable chair, and a speaker phone?"

I do a lot of these at 7-8pm...and sometimes by 8-9pm I am emailing them an ap to fill in and send back (with my help as needed)....else its a set time to talk again now that they have something to think about. Depends on their level of knowledge when they start.

I am thankful for the webinar option. Since I work from a home based office, it saves me from having to shower and shave regularly and put $4.00 a gallon gas in my tank every week like I used to in the good old days.

Anyone who thinks you can't sell LTC remotely, obviously thinks LTC insurance is more complicated than it really is. Its all in the presentation. If you think it is complicated, so will the client.

Of course, selling health and life insurance on the phone is easier. There , it is usually a link that says "click here to apply" call with questions.

Actually I sometimes miss, and really do prefer, the client contact in person......but whatever is best for them is what they are going to get.

Last edited:
Thanks for the posts!

Are there certain FMO's that support online sales or are these techniques/technology something you don't need FMO support for as you can do on your own?

I ask because my FMO's don't know much about online LTC sales, I am on high contracts though and don't need them for much anyway.

I talked to one FMO, and they promote that they train in online sales and might have some "proprietary software", not sure what it does or if its something you really need. The problem is they offer low contracts.

Last edited:
If stock brokers and other financial pro's can sell crap by phone (even before webinars) ANYTHING can be sold by phone.

If some schmuck in a boiler room can call some dude in Iowa and get him to agree to "MANY dollar"deals and to transfer funds via wire or via UPS pick-up.....of course there is way to sell almost ANY product by phone.

Think about ppl....Millions were made on the phone BEFORE the tools we have now, to help with credibility and visuals were even thought of.

The biggest issue with selling by phone is the biggest issue with selling, period.....the salesperson.

Whatever that IT is..... whatever,YOU or I say CAN'T be done....some S.O.B. is doing it, go figure. (Just like the 4 minute mile, until your SHOWN it doesn't EXIST)

I sold a zhit load of alarm systems in person and it took me QUITE some time to BELIEVE ppl would buy 'em over the phone but 'by-golly' to MY surprise....
the designing of the system
the emotion of the h/w
the close
the money
the commitment
the contract
all the STUFF that I THOUGHT had to be done in person to be affective was ALL in MY HEAD,obviously...

Cause IMO, people buy from good salespeople or a great marketing position f2f or via phone, period.

Last edited:
I am thankful for the webinar option. Since I work from a home based office, it saves me from having to shower and shave regularly

Herman,
I've been wanting to talk to you about that. It's been over 6 months and I think it's finally time for a shower.

I can smell you all the way from GA.

:D

Back