Health Insurance in Nevada

I wanted to start this thread for Health Insurance Agents and Brokers selling in Nevada. Each state has different licensing, rules and exchanges and it's always nice to share stories (good and bad), plus knowledge and ideas.

We can discuss Individual, Family, Small and Large Group, Seniors, Supplemental plus all the news that relates to us locally and nationally.

I was a registered cardiac nurse for over 15 years before becoming a captive agent at Anthem BCBS for over 5 years. After the layoffs from Obamacare, I started my own agency and also a private marketplace and am loving every minute of it. So let's share ideas and get creative.

I'll be posting a variety of stuff on here, some news, some ideas, some of it for agents, some of it for clients. I hope you enjoy it, can use it, and then contribute some of your own.

Sincerely,

ShellyRogers

Licensed Agent #560016
Nevada Insurance Enrollment Marketplace

New Health Care Terms…..Federal Poverty Level

Everyone has a “federal poverty level,” (FPL), even wealthy people. They just have a higher FPL. People that have a FPL of between 100% up to 400% will get some kind of assistance. Those that have a FPL of 138% up to 400% can go to the “Exchange” (online website) and get assistance with paying for their health insurance premiums, or, if you make less than 138% FPL you may qualify for Medicaid which is Free. The less money you make the more financial help you will get, the more money you make, the less financial assistance you get. If you make over 400% of FPL, you won’t qualify for financial assistance (AKA – subsidy.) You can buy your insurance anywhere you want, but if you want a “subsidy” you must buy the insurance on the Exchange if your income is under 400% FPL.

Definition: Network, Out-of-Network

Network: This refers to the groups of doctors, hospitals and other medical professionals who have been contracted to provide discounted healthcare services to your insurance carrier’s customers.

Out-of-Network: This term typically refers to any doctors, hospitals or other healthcare providers considered to be non-participants by your insurance plan (HMO, POS, or PPO). Depending on your plan’s guidelines, services provided by out-of-plan providers may not be covered, or only covered in part.

----------

Cobra Insurance

FAQ. What is COBRA: This acronym refers to the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985. The law requires group medical plans covering twenty employees or more to offer participants the option to receive continued healthcare benefits for up to eighteen months after the cancellation of their group plan.

----------

Manufacturers Coupons For Prescription Drugs

A pharmacist told a client of mine to go to goodRX.com to get manufacturers coupons. They paid $86 for Pulmocort/Budezonine and didn’t even use her insurance.

Insurance wanted them to pay $235 and without insurance retail was $436.

I don't know. Look at the name of her Agency. Isn't that a BIG no-no?

Not trying to be prude about this because she's not the only one.

Also:

"Anthem BCBS - Top Agent in the Nation"
"2011 and 2012 - Top captive under 65 sales agent for Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield Nationwide"

If true...that's pretty damn impressive! In fact...that's really damn impressive x 10!

Last edited:
American Indians and Health Care Reform

If you belong to an Indian Tribe, you get special consideration with health care reform. Some of these include if your Federal Poverty Level is below 300%, you won’t have deductibles or co-pays.

American Indians have the same opportunity to apply for a subsidy just like anyone else, and you can still also use your Tribal clinics, IHS, etc. Another advantages is you can also change your health plan monthly if you’d like, however, start dates have the normal rules like everyone else:

1. If the person is enrolled by the 15th, they get a 1st of next month effective date.

2. If the person is enrolled after the 15th, they get a 1st of the following month after the next month effective date.

Back