New BCBS Plans / Interesting Reform Info

dgoldenz

Virginia
Just took a look at the plan changes from CareFirst and Anthem (VA) going forward. In case anyone is still wondering, these changes will probably apply to all companies, though I'm not sure about the maternity:

CF:

-Maternity standard part of policy, no waiting periods
-All preventative care free
-No cap on Rx or DME
-Eliminated lower deductibles (<$1500)
-Child rates posted on individual basis...so child-only still available? No info on max rate-ups
-Rates up about 50% across the board, deductibles and OOP max about double

Anthem:

-Preventative care free, including colonoscopies according to their conference call today, as long as the preventative care done is the reason for the office visit, not secondary. This also applies to all policies written between 3/23 and 9/23 starting on 1/1/11.
-No cap on Rx or DME
-Dollar limits on things like physical therapy/speech therapy lifted, no based on number of office visits
-30-day open enrollment period for child-only each year. Powerpoint says they can still be rated based on health. No info on whether they will offer child-only rest of the year
-No rate info yet

New info on BCBSGA available tomorrow. Child only going forward are Tonik plans only. No more PPO plans, only POS.

No child only in MD. This from Carefirst:

CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield requires the first applicant to be at least 19 or older. Feel free to call 1-888-432-4380 to discuss your options with one of our helpful insurance representatives.

H1 in GA is not allowed (yet) to quote ANY child rates for eff dates after 9/22. So far the state has not approved child rates & underwriting so can only quote age 19 and up for Humana.

Coventry in MD is allowing child only through December since they apparently see anything in the legislation referring to GI for children by 9/23. Quite interesting. What what I gather, their interpretation is "when the plan renews after 9/23" and their plans don't renew until the end of Dec.

This are rich plans just like BOBO wanted.
50% increase in cost is going to be tough for people.

The standard maternity benefit is interesting. So now they will charge maternity rates for everyone to offset the cost.

For my family (43, 47, 9) if I wanted an affordable premium post 9/93 apocalypse it's Blue Preferred Saver coming in at $437.

It's benefit rich with 2 office visits, and a discount for name brand RX. Has a 10K deductible to boot.

Back