Make Sure You Get Appointed!

RayNY

Guru
1000 Post Club
We have been receiving multiple reports that since commissions are paid by a CARRIER to a PRODUCER, all producers MUST be appointed with all carriers in order to receive compensation.

The NY marketplace presumes you are appointed for all product when you register (the screen that shows all carriers you are "appointed to sell" has them all selected and does not allow you to modify).

Argument's sake, you can quote all plans, enroll clients in all plans, but if you're not appointed we have reason to believe you're not getting paid.

Of course, this is not good.

If anyone has any extra information confirming/denying, please reply to this thread. I will update if I find out anything more.

Recent update from carrier: For new business written by non-appointed brokers, when they become appointed, they are eligible for up to 6 months retroactive premium.

That's a weight off our shoulders, but still implies, GET APPOINTED DIRECTLY OR YOU'RE NOT GETTING PAID

Oh good, THANK YOU for that.

I called 3 times and the exchange tells me i do not need to be appointed but i was skeptical.

Please note that the exchange support personnel can only provide answers to questions concerning the enrollment process/application on their website, and general questions about their website. They do NOT know ANYTHING about the law, regulations, requirements, issued guidance, licensing, appointment, commissions, premiums, subsidies, product, network, and myriad other subjects I wasted my time calling on. They blatantly tell us that all they do is enrollment application assistance and site support.

I can't guarantee there is no way to get paid if you're not appointed, but that's certainly the way it looks after talking to all the carriers I have.

do you know if you will get paid, if client already made an account and went through the process online only to be stuck and THEN find a broker to help them?

Ray, I wonder if this is only in NY? In NC I understand there's a million to one chance that you won't be appointed to BCBS, and, CIGNA said they're not appointing any new agents.

I went thru all that crazy training and am in no mood to work for free!

Milkman,

You should be compensated so long as the client performed 1) the broker association within the portal, and 2) uploading a BOR letter, 3) BEFORE submitting the enrollment (aka "submitted" status in your Exchange dashboard.)

Moral of the story, you'll get paid so long as you came in anywhere before submission. If they submitted, and then you answered questions or confirmed information, you will not be compensated.

Miss V,

It's my understanding this is nation wide. Under ACA, carriers pay commission to selling agents, and as such, all compensation is subject to the compensation schedule agreed to between the agent and carrier as part of appointment. No agreement=no comp. Historically, carriers have not paid agents who are not appointed, and I don't see anything changing.

Back