NC Exchange - Whopping 3 Carriers

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
Diminishing competition one free market at a time.

Few insurance carriers to participate in NC health insurance exchange - Greensboro - The Business Journal

Only Blue Cross Blue Shield, Coventry and FirstCarolinaCare Insurance Co. in Pinehurst will participate in the individual exchange next year, though other carriers could join and offer products in future years. That compares to about seven carriers who now offer individual insurance products in North Carolina.

--------------
Ehealth shows Aetna, AARP Aetna, Humana and UHC currently sell in NC

Last edited:
There will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth from the million or so residents who wanted to "keep their plan", but couldn't. If the networks are substantially smaller, game over before it began.

Hmmm. I am in NC and have never heard of First Carolina Care and did not know AARP offered health insurance. Celtic was also left off the list of other carriers in NC

And BCBS NC is still "captive" post 2014? That is questionably against PPACA and certainly not in the consumers best interest to have captive arrangements post 2014. I hope this gets exposed at some point and ends.

FL BCBS is also staying captive. They are allowed to do so, the law only states they must disclose to the client that there are more offerings on the exchange

FL BCBS is also staying captive. They are allowed to do so, the law only states they must disclose to the client that there are more offerings on the exchange

Or if you are a web broker, your quote engine must present all plans on the exchange.

HHS should make all captive agreements illegal as it is NOT in the consumers best interest to slam one product.

I question the legality of forcing me to display and quote carriers I have no authorization to display or represent. Until someone challenges such nonsense in PPACA (likely never) I will display no carriers. Its not worth the headache.

Back