Self Employed, but Do Not Have Health Coverage!

tableguyone

I hope somebody can give me a straight answer here. I am 40 years old, and last September left my full time corporate job to pursue my own small business. Since then, I have been working building furniture/art but have not sold ONE piece! Yikes! Therefore, I haven't received a paycheck in nine months. I recently cancelled my annual physical with my doctor (for lack of insurance and income) and more recently, cancelled my colonoscopy (which is recommended for me every five years). Do I qualify for any medical assistance in the state of NC? Not sure if technically I fall under "unemployed" considering I haven't made a dollar in nine months, or what. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not in NC but am in SC. I think the laws are pretty much the same. I have an agent that works for me licensed in NC that can help. As far as I know you can't buy health insurance because the enrollment period has ended. It does not sound like you would qualify for a special enrollment. We have been advising short term health policies to bridge the gap until enrollment opens. Even when it does without at least meeting 100% of the Federal Poverty level you are not going to get any help with the premiums.

Smokin Goose - always great to know there is a potential future customer out there! lol! This is one of my tables. "Salt Life". Everything is completely scratch-built including the table itself and the boardwalk (from 450+ individually hand cut and assembled wood strips). Has a 12v rechargeable battery pack that connects underneath to power the LED dock light. Hope you like it! My website is double you, double you, double you dot shadowtables dot com. (This won't allow URL)

Attachments

• Salt Life.JPG
    Salt Life.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
I'm not in NC but am in SC. I think the laws are pretty much the same. I have an agent that works for me licensed in NC that can help. As far as I know you can't buy health insurance because the enrollment period has ended. It does not sound like you would qualify for a special enrollment. We have been advising short term health policies to bridge the gap until enrollment opens. Even when it does without at least meeting 100% of the Federal Poverty level you are not going to get any help with the premiums.
Thank you! Information was very useful. Disappointing to read, but still good to know. Thanks!

That's a cool table. Would this withstand the salty air and sun if I put it out on my balcony here in Panama City Beach or is it designed for indoor only use?

I went to your site and you have some nice concepts there. I guess the reason you've not sold one is due to your prices (which I can't see) might be too high.

Last edited:
Back