AGENCY Owners---what Are You Looking For?

Todd Preston

Expert
In my area (large Metro area in SE), i see PC agencies (personal and comm.) CONSTANTLY looking for new agents. What's the catch? How come agencies have a hard time finding / making producing agents?

I've been producing as a LH agent for 4 yrs. And I got a decent sized book but i had to do this on my own.

WHAT ARE PC AGENCIES LOOKING FOR?
  • -someone who can bring in biz (good biz, not trash who can't pay their bills)
  • -someone who can write good biz (as few claims as possible)
  • -high premiums?
  • -cross selling? (multiple lics required)
WHAT CONCERNS DO AGENCIES HAVE?
  • -if agencies are NOT paying a salary (straight comm.), what concerns do they have when looking at new agents?
BIGGEST OBSTACLE?
  • -what are the biggest obstacles agencies face when recruiting new agents?
  • -are they looking for experienced agents with HUGH bob?
Not trying to be facetious but I'm seeing agencies struggle to recruit talent...what's going on?

Producers who understand it's a volume game and hustle 24/7. Who can close. Who care. Helps if they are breathing. Oh and can take risk with low pay but high reward with renewals.

I see a business practice where agency owners aggressively hire producers whereby the hope they'll write friends & family...and maybe actually stick long term working leads and referrals etc. That's the backbone of how they build their agency. Recruit recruit recruit like a revolving door & there's a constant supply of underpaid goofballs who hop in & fizzle out in a few months (but the agent keeps the commissions.)

Kind of like car sales hire as many as possible when its commission only there is not much risk.

I don't think this model would work in a small town

I don't know about PC but with LH, its a high "churn and Burn" business model.

With PC, ON THE OTHER HAND, if they are giving you "a salary",...i would think they would expect some production while giving out a lower split. ALSO, most won't let you own that BOB, so again, "churn and burn" business model.

(its quite sick now that i think about it).

??

How do you find the time to service your book and still grow your book? I have an agency and have tons of distractions from customers and calls. I never seem to have enough time.

Gotcha. I have one producer and one CSR. I do a little bit of everything. I enjoy sales more than service and am but an trying to create a business model where I don't have to be in the front lines so much.

Back