Airbnb Exposures

Airbnb has their own insurance for these things, no?
they are excess to your own policy I believe. One of my insureds brought it to my attention and sure enough their own homeowners have to cover it on a primary basis

they are excess to your own policy I believe. One of my insureds brought it to my attention and sure enough their own homeowners have to cover it on a primary basis

Only going by what they show online. It appears the liability is primary. It looks like the biggest holes are in the Host Guarantee, which is designed to protect the host's property.

A local lady here had almost a total loss on her house after one night. They stole everything that wasn't tied down, broke and burned everything else. Airbnb didn't cover a dime, she said they transferred her around from department to department and it took about 2 months before they even sent someone out to look. She said she had to pay out of pocket, I wondered why the homeowners wouldn't cover it, but the cops didn't even take a report, they said it was a civil matter.

A local lady here had almost a total loss on her house after one night. They stole everything that wasn't tied down, broke and burned everything else. Airbnb didn't cover a dime, she said they transferred her around from department to department and it took about 2 months before they even sent someone out to look. She said she had to pay out of pocket, I wondered why the homeowners wouldn't cover it, but the cops didn't even take a report, they said it was a civil matter.

The Host Guarantee says she has to have a police report. So I'm not surprised. I am surprised they did not take a report as that is theft. I bet they would have taken a report for a hotel.

I think the deal is permitted access. Just like if you let someone borrow your car and they trash it or let someone else use it, you are out of luck. I worked in a PD for a while and there were lots of people they wouldn't take reports on like a couple breaks up and he wants the car or he wrecks her car visiting a girlfriend and the cops would pull the civil card. I wonder why vandalism doesn't apply too, a hotel is different maybe?

I think the deal is permitted access. Just like if you let someone borrow your car and they trash it or let someone else use it, you are out of luck. I worked in a PD for a while and there were lots of people they wouldn't take reports on like a couple breaks up and he wants the car or he wrecks her car visiting a girlfriend and the cops would pull the civil card. I wonder why vandalism doesn't apply too, a hotel is different maybe?

I can see where they are coming from. Roommates, etc.

However Airbnb is different. It is a commercial transaction. No different than trashing a hotel room, your long-term rental, a business, etc. You may have been admitted, but it was a transaction and you certainly weren't admitted to cause destruction.

While there certainly is a civil component, there is also a criminal one as well.

Back