American Family Question / Coverage Related

Herkster

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hey everyone

I'm quoting a current American Family customer, and he carries a 2m umbrella, but his auto underlying limits are only 100k/300k. Does anyone here know the minimum required underlying limits for Am Fam, that would go from his auto liability limits straight to his umbrella without any portion being "self insured"?

I know that most of my companies require 500k liability limits under an umbrella, and I'm wondering if he has some extra exposure on how it's currently written.

Thoughts?

Hey everyone

I'm quoting a current American Family customer, and he carries a 2m umbrella, but his auto underlying limits are only 100k/300k. Does anyone here know the minimum required underlying limits for Am Fam, that would go from his auto liability limits straight to his umbrella without any portion being "self insured"?

I know that most of my companies require 500k liability limits under an umbrella, and I'm wondering if he has some extra exposure on how it's currently written.

Thoughts?

What state? I know in Georgia the underlying limits for auto to have an umbrella is 250/500 and home is 300k. I'll assume it's a midwest state as there are a few that only require 100/300 for underlying auto liability and 300k for home. The umbrella kicks in after 300k is exhausted in those particular states. They are very strict on underlying limits requirements and that both home and auto must be AmFam to have an umbrella so if he has one and the prefill or dec page shows those as his limits it's probably correct. Just make sure his umbrella is amfam and not stand alone through brokerage because that's a possibility.

----------

Hey everyone

Thoughts?

Just FYI AmFam required underlying limits for an umbrella is 250/500/100 on autos and 300k for home in all states except Washington. Washington's minimum is 100/300 for auto and 100k for home but the higher limits are always recommended.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that even though the current liability limit requirements are higher... they may be "grandfathered" in with the lower limits.

He's only been with AmFam for 2 years, and we are in the state of Iowa. Carries 100/300 on his personal autos, 1m on his semi's, but I think there is some self retained exposure on the personal auto limits between what he carries and his umbrella limits.

He's only been with AmFam for 2 years, and we are in the state of Iowa. Carries 100/300 on his personal autos, 1m on his semi's, but I think there is some self retained exposure on the personal auto limits between what he carries and his umbrella limits.

The required limits weren't changed until Spring of 2015 and were for new business and state rewrites so it's likely 100/300 was all that was required.

----------

Ask him to send you the dec page so you can see for yourself

I have pieces of the Dec pages, but it doesn't does me required underlying limits.

All the autos are on the same policy, 2 semis, two grain trailers, a dump trailer, a grain truck, and 3 personal autos.

Plus, the semis are rated at 20k gross weight. I think they should be a class code higher than they are.

I have pieces of the Dec pages, but it doesn't does me required underlying limits.

All the autos are on the same policy, 2 semis, two grain trailers, a dump trailer, a grain truck, and 3 personal autos.

Plus, the semis are rated at 20k gross weight. I think they should be a class code higher than they are.

Same policy number like 6666-6666-66-66 or is it like 6666-6666-01
6666-6666-02
6666-6666-03

It shows the auto under associated policies when looking at the umbrella policy.
Shows as a farm umbrella.
14u- a bunch of numbers
Auto is a 1153- other numbers

It shows the auto under associated policies when looking at the umbrella policy.
Shows as a farm umbrella.
14u- a bunch of numbers
Auto is a 1153- other numbers

Ooooh Farm Umbrella sorry but i understand what you mean now by all under one policy i thought you meant they were written all on one underlying policy which makes much more sense

Back