Anyone Else Ever See This?

MrGolf

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I've been wondering lately if anyone else notices a certain type of agent as I see sometimes... Here's the picture: a solid and reputable agency that does quite well for itself relative to its rural setting. Usually with one or two CSR's that also function as cross sell agents or such. But with a principal agent that spends all of their time doing things that isn't their job. Whether it be running interference between a claimant and the adjuster, taking phone calls that involve menial things that should be left to CSR, worrying and fretting over every single account written and if they are "perfect," etc., etc. I think I've painted enough for anyone to see what I'm getting at. Micro-management at its finest I suppose.

Does anyone else run across this type of agent? I know of two like this here in my hometown. They do well for themselves, but I don't understand the mindset that they try to do everything in the agency themselves? My father always taught me that this business is hard, but it isn't rocket science. Sell, service, manage the agency broadly and delegate people to be specialized in areas that you don't need to be involved in every single day. If you are so busy doing the petty things that a CSR can do, how are you growing?

Anyone see this? Or is it just my area??

I don't sell insurance. Our policies are all about 99% the same. I sell SERVICE.

Selling service is something out of date. No offense. If you asked 100 agents what is unique about you, why should I do business with you 100% would say "we provide better service". That no longer flies. Service is expected. What is not expected is the customer experience. That is something you can control. What is the difference in the experience your customers have vs. your competitor. Are you offering an App, 24/7 service with service centers, , e-signature capability, reviews with Skype or Google hangout so your clients can do a review and not disrupt their day. What is the experience your providing your customers? Who in your town is providing it better? That's how you get the upper hand.

I'm just amazed that these type of agents, who are generally older, want to play lawyer, claims adjuster, accountant, etc. I just can't imagine operating that way. I suppose you get sucked into it if you are a mostly personal lines agency, but even then it just doesn't seem profitable and can't be a growth focused agency.

CSR's do menial work? You have insulted a great number of people. Without a good CSR, an agent cannot be successful.

Back