Anyone Ever Try Doing a Seminar/workshop for Auto or Homeowners Insurance?

I see many people have tried a seminar for FE but I'm wondering if anyone has had luck gathering P&C leads via seminar?

My interest in this piqued when I took a speech class last semester (I'm 33 but trying to finish up my degree) and I did a 15 minute speech on "Dissecting a Michigan Auto Insurance Policy".

I thought it would bomb but I know auto insurance in/out/sideways so people started asking tons of questions and I realized that people don't know jack about auto insurance. I really enjoyed answering their questions from a position of expertise and by the end of my class I was approached by probably a dozen people that wanted my business card.

I'd probably keep a similar topic like "Understanding your Michigan no-fault auto insurance policy" or something like that - would people bite? Any thoughts? Cheers!

People don't care enough to attend a seminar on Auto/Home. I'd find a seminar company like an Indy financial services guy and team up.

Are we talking a leads-generating opportunity? I can't see how that works in a seminar setting, but you can certainly share your ideas on that.

Or a butts in the seats educational opportunity? Not without CE credits in that case.

Put yourself out there as a featured speaker/expert on MI auto and see what happens.

Good Luck!

If the only cost is time and you have time to burn and nothing more productive to do with that time, try it.

Never done it, but I could sit here and make a case either way.

Realtors do home buyer seminars and will frequently bring in an P&C agent to talk about home insurance. This works well.

Not sure you would get enough interest in a seminar on auto insurance by itself though. You'll get other agents to show up and potentially a few interested individuals, just not sure you would get enough to make it worthwhile for your investment.

Translate the topic.... say its dishwasher theory. Would you attend? If so, why? Perhaps you are having a dishwasher problem and then yeah, you might, but if your dishwasher worked or you realized it wasn't really about how to fix your dishwasher but just how it worked, then the interest level for a lot of people will diminish rapidly. Same with talking about insurance, you have to have a reason they are interested in the topic.

In a classroom you have a captive audience and you can get their interest. In the real world, getting people to show up is difficult, you got to skip that part.

One of the toughest things for me (as an engineer) to understand was that people didn't really want to understand how insurance works, they just want to know that you know your stuff and that you have them covered and at a reasonable price. I'm the guy who likes to know how things work (most of the time).

Dan

"I'd probably keep a similar topic like "Understanding your Michigan no-fault auto insurance policy" or something like that - would people bite? Any thoughts?"

You might want to consider recording training sessions on YouTube and marketing yourself and your agency through them. Place links on your website and feature your presentations on social media marketing platforms.

Years ago I did it and it was heavily advertised in various city publications. 3 people showed up. If you do it, have them RSVP and include free food, drinks, and door prizes. And plan on 90% of the RSVPs not showing up.

In Florida you could get people to show up if you do a headline like this...

"You were just hit by an uninsured motorist, now what?"

In Florida, I believe 1 out of every 3 drivers is NOT insured, that's NUTS!

Back