Background Issue...?

Davis B

Expert
Hi all,

I have a Background issue that i was hoping i could get some candid (not wiseguy) opinion on getting my PC license and obtaining gainful employment with a PC company.

I lost my RE appraisers license back in 1998. My state audited my appraisal experience log and i could not locate one of the guys i worked for 7 yrs prior. The offense was not over a transaction. At the time, my dad was dying of cancer and i just could not locate my previous employer (whom i worked for 7 yrs prior....my mistake assuming i would be able to find him). Under pressure and bad advice from a Lawyer, i surrendered that license.

On the plus side, I studied for and passed the exam to get my Life, Health and Annuities license from my state in 2008. I disclosed what happened to my state licensing regulators and they allowed me to take the exam. I have been selling mostly Health to small groups and individuals since 2008 (been selling for about 4 yrs now). Haven't had a problem getting appointed with Health companies, nor life.

NOW...i want to move into PC and take the schooling (200 hrs in my state) and then take the exam.

I don't think the state will object (as i will disclose everything like i did previously) when i got my life, health, annuities lic.

MY CONCERN is getting a job with a decent PC company and hoping there will be no problems regarding this issue.

I know some of you guys may think ill of me...but I HAVE done my best...i'm not perfect (wish i was)...but this is an issue that i want to be honest and upfront about in HOPES of getting some good advice. Truth be told...i wish i could redo a lot of things but i can't. All i can do is be honest going forward.

Just wanted to know FROM some pros if there will be a problem getting a PC Job with that license issue from 14 yrs ago?

Thanks for any constructive input.

~Davis

Getting a job or getting appointed? Those are two very different things.

Job, probably not as big of a deal. Appointment(s)? Still wouldn't think it'd be a big deal, but that's where I'd look into things more.

Usually they ask about things like that and if you can give them a reasonable explanation it helps, that along with 14 yeas is probably not going to be a deal breaker, but you can always check with a cluster.

You shouldn't have a problem. They look for financial crimes and/or other felonies. I had something in my record as well, everyone told me i will never get an appointment. They were wrong.

If you got your license, it isn't going to be a problem. The only concern is if a P&C company wants to hire you. Or are you talking about trying to start your own agency? If so, you will have trouble getting appointments and it has nothing to do with this. P&C appointments are a chicken and the egg problem. You need existing P&C premium to get appointments, but you need appointments to get premium.

As far as thinking ill of you for this? Hardly, we reserve our scorn for deadbeat dads, felons, crooks and spammers.

If you got your license, it isn't going to be a problem. The only concern is if a P&C company wants to hire you. Or are you talking about trying to start your own agency? If so, you will have trouble getting appointments and it has nothing to do with this. P&C appointments are a chicken and the egg problem. You need existing P&C premium to get appointments, but you need appointments to get premium.

As far as thinking ill of you for this? Hardly, we reserve our scorn for deadbeat dads, felons, crooks and spammers.

Thanks everyone for your constructive comments.

Vol,

What do you mean "you need an existing PC premium to get appointments?"

Thanks everyone for your constructive comments.

Vol,

What do you mean "you need an existing PC premium to get appointments?"

As I said, chicken and the egg problem. If you are trying to start your own agency, they want to see that you have written P&C business prior to giving you appointments. But without appointments, you can't have existing premium, but without premium you can't get appointments.

That is why a lot of people either join clusters or start with substandard carriers where it is easier to get those initial appointments.

What are trying to do? Work directly for an insurance company? Work for an agency or start your own agency?

Thanks for responding FL,

I am not looking to start an agency as i'm sure i don't have the resources NOR experience to do that.

Just looking for some straight answers to my question regarding getting a job with my background.

Upfront and honest will go a long ways in getting appointed. Send a cover letter in with your appointment explaining the situation...tell them before they see it on their own.

Back