In CA, Can my 17 Year Old Son Have his Own Auto Policy?

rlaher

I've quoted my 17 year old with Progressive (Drive Ins). Just curious about the underwriting and if I issue the policy, will it be cancelled or have the rate skyrocket? Thanks for your input.

An insurance policy is a contract and must be issued to someone who can legally enter a contract.

That said, it will probably issue and stay put without much hassle. Your son will very likely pay more for the coverage then being on your policy. I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by having him on a separate policy, but usually it is the wrong thing to do.

Reasons I see parents wanting to do this:
Lower limits: This is really a bad idea for the very person who is most likely to get into an accident and will have his whole life to pay if the insurance doesn't cover it.

Limiting liability: It doesn't. Ignore whoever told you this. You are still legally responsible for your minor son. Now, you don't have your higher limits to help protect you.

Kid can pay for it: What if he doesn't?

Keep him on your policy till he is at least 18.

Dan

An insurance policy is a contract and must be issued to someone who can legally enter a contract.

That said, it will probably issue and stay put without much hassle. Your son will very likely pay more for the coverage then being on your policy. I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by having him on a separate policy, but usually it is the wrong thing to do.

Lower limits: This is really a bad idea for the very person who is most likely to get into an accident and will have his whole life to pay if the insurance doesn't cover it.

Limiting liability: It doesn't. Ignore whoever told you this. You are still legally responsible for your minor son. Now, you don't have your higher limits to help protect you.

Dan

The Progressive quote is significantly lower than adding him to my current policy (a difference of approx. $300/month). Seems too good to be true so I'm skeptical.

The Progressive quote is significantly lower than adding him to my current policy (a difference of approx. $300/month). Seems too good to be true so I'm skeptical.

Is he licensed or permit only? Progressive doesn't seem to rate a person with permit, at least here in sc. When they get the license it goes astronomical. They have got to be the least competitive on youthful drivers in this state.
IME Allied or Nationwide have really good rates for families with youthful drivers.

To answer your question, progressive will issue it, but as others mentioned it doesn't constitute a legal contract.

Is he licensed or permit only? Progressive doesn't seem to rate a person with permit, at least here in sc. When they get the license it goes astronomical. They have got to be the least competitive on youthful drivers in this state.
IME Allied or Nationwide have really good rates for families with youthful drivers.

To answer your question, progressive will issue it, but as others mentioned it doesn't constitute a legal contract.

Thank you, indinoise. He has been licensed for 7 months.

Another issue you will run into: If you insure your resident son with Progressive, your current carrier is still going to charge for him.

Dan

Don'the forger the type of vehicles on the policy. Liability aside if there parents drive high value vehicles will full coverage and the kid drives a 1989 accord with liability only, it might make sense for them to split the policy. A lot of the insurers in CA allow all listed drivers to drive all listed vehicles. This means most companies will rate the17 year old on the parents vehicle regadless of if they actually drive that vehicle or not.

Back