Can I sell P&C from home?

upnsmoke2005@

Expert
I just got my p&c license along with life and health. I have been selling life and health and do it all from my home. Are there any P&C companies i can contract with non captive and sell from home? Any recomendations would be great. Thank you

JB
Detroit, MI

Hello

I have the same exact question. I sell life insurance but cant seem to tap into property and casualty. just wanted to let you know I have the same question. If someone can help that will be great. I am news to the forum.

I know a couple people who sell p/c from home. They pay their own E&O, marketing, overhead expenses and get their own company appointments. Basically their own agency. I don't know of many agencies that will give you all that support and let you work from home though. I'm sure they're out there, but there aren't that many. Good luck.

You are going to be much better off establishing a relationship with an existing brokerage and negotiating a home office along with your split. Must insureds, whether this is true or not, still believe their agent should have a brick and mortar presence. You will also need to be serious about understanding the P&C marketplace, straddling the fence is difficult. Try picking a niche, my first was tow truck drivers. Hard work but they were owner operators, I found a great market and I ran with it. 3 months in I had written over $100K in premium, which was not bad for someone with zero industry experience.

If you are talking Home and Car in Michigan, I would venture to say that a strong company will not appoint an at home agent. You will need some top tier companies to be successful.

Your best bets are probably cluster arrangements like Iroquois or being a sub agent for someone that has quality contracts. Very difficult market to start in right now.

If you are talking about commercial niche marketing, you can probably get some good contracts via the E & S markets.

Good Luck!

You may want to look into groups like Superior Access, SIAA, Iriquois, smart choice and Insurance noodle. These groups offer acces to multiple companies however, read the fine print as there are circumstances about contract or actually building a relationship with the company you write for.

Back