Captive in CA and Independent in Others

I've been asked a few times over the years if I can write in other states. Never thought much of it, was given the advice that it wasn't a big deal and you don't make money from it.(Advice from the old school agent that wrote policies on carbon copy forms)

More and more of my people are buying homes out of CA, vacation/retirement, they want me to continue to be their agent. Not one to turn down policies I picked up 3 non-resident licenses for the most popular destination states. Then I went to my company and asked for dual appointment. No go. I basically got a pat on the head and a "sorry, we only do that for our bigger commercial producers". To date I've lost 12 policies to a dual appointed agent, also in CA, 3 of those policies belonged to a relative of mine.:mad:

Then I found this forum and saw a few members are captive in their home states but IA in the non-resident states. I want in! Tell me how! I literally have a home I need to quote, right meow!

~RC

Being captive in your home state vs indy in other states is quite confusing. Is your captive insurance carrier not allowing you to secure appointments with others in your home state?

Back