Captive's Plan B Business Plan

Sam Adams

I'm captive and ready to make a gradual transition over to the IA side. I don't want to start over so I am planning to start an IA under the wifes name. The problem is it will be in her name only as she takes care of our young children. This poses a problem because I know there will be learning curve on the IA side and I don't have an immediate producer with IA experience that I can plug in. I like the cluster groups but am wondering if I should start with a wholeshaler. I would like to place business with the wholesaler and let them service and use my wifes home address. I could then hire an extra producer in my captive and then groom them to take over the wholesale book. Once the producer is up to speed then I could roll the book over to either direct appointment or with a cluster. I don't have any experience with any of this so I am hoping for some good feedback.

Why not run both? Filter over the things your captive can't write. (Unless against contract). :)

Why not run both? Filter over the things your captive can't write. (Unless against contract). :)

Everything about this violates the spirit of the contract if not the letter.

I'm not going to pass judgement, either the OP sees the issue or he doesn't. However, if he is going to do it, he might as well go all in. Let his producer effectively run the captive while he focuses on the IA.

Are you currently a captive agency owner?

You already know what you need to do. Apply the camouflage face paint, holster your bowie knife & do what you need to do to get your IA off the ground.

Matter of when not if. I cash flow well on the captive side so I plan to do both at least for next 2-3 years. I can't directly work in the IA but will advise my wife and refer business over. Need advice on transition plan. Park business with wholesaler, hire another producer and groom to take over IA and then flip the book to cluster or direct.

Back