Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum

Reply to Carriers that Will Write Homes Used in Airbnb/VRBO?     
Old 08-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
Super Genius

State: TwoLabs is an Insurance Agent from
Carriers that Will Write Homes Used in Airbnb/VRBO? Carriers that Will Write Homes Used in Airbnb/VRBO?
I have an existing insured with a primary and weekend home. He's toying with the idea of renting out the weekend home on Airbnb when they are not using it.

The current carrier, not surprisingly, says it is not covered. I've called Safeco and they are the same.

Does anyone in Texas have a market that will cover a risk like that? Am I just going to have to go surplus lines and get a commercial property policy?

Thanks!
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Carriers that Will Write Homes Used in Airbnb/VRBO?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
Super Genius
adjusterjack on Carriers that Will Write Homes Used in Airbnb/VRBO?

State: adjusterjack is an Insurance Agent from Arizona
Carriers that Will Write Homes Used in Airbnb/VRBO? Re: Carriers that Will Write Homes Used in Airbnb/VRBO?
You shouldn't need surplus lines or a commercial policy. Treat it as a rental house. Standard carriers could write a DP-3 Dwelling Property Special Form on the property. Make sure it has the optional vacancy endorsement.

Then add the Additional Residence Premises Rented to Others endorsement to his homeowners policy.

He'll pay more for it and won't have all the pretty trimmings that a homeowners policy has but, hey, you want to make money off your house, you pay for the right insurance.

PS he will also have to file Schedule E on his federal income taxes to show the rental income and expenses from the rental periods.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #3

State: PandCagentCA is an Insurance Agent from California
Carriers that Will Write Homes Used in Airbnb/VRBO? Re: Carriers that Will Write Homes Used in Airbnb/VRBO?
The fact that the insured will put it on Airbnb as a vacation rental (weekend rental) is the reason why a standard market wont take it. Theoretically they could and I wish they would, but as soon as they find out Airbnb or vacation rental use specifically at any point in time, they will look to drop the insured. I'm assuming more risk prone to parties and so many different people in and out renting wise. Standard markets want a traditional rental home 6 month lease or intent to rent out for at least 6 months at a time. I'm in California and E&S has been the only option for me on the risk you have (but shouldn't need a commercial policy). I don't get them much though so I haven't looked long and hard for a standard market. Maybe someone has a standard market they can share, but just encase I wanted to share my findings.

Last edited by PandCagentCA; 08-04-2017 at 07:58 PM. Reason: .
Reply to Carriers that Will Write Homes Used in Airbnb/VRBO? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum